Suhr :: View topic - Bridge setup compound radius?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Bridge setup compound radius?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexClou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Bridge setup compound radius? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
How do you set up the bridge on your guitars with a 9 to 12 compound radius fretboard?
To you continue the compound fretboard somehow and make it even flatter? Or you just set it to 12?

Thanks!
Chuckracer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like a flatter radius at the bridge. It's probably 15" or something. It's really a feel thing.

Last edited by Chuckracer on Tue May 12, 2020 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drew7

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bridge setup compound radius? Reply with quote

AlexClou wrote:
Hi everyone,
How do you set up the bridge on your guitars with a 9 to 12 compound radius fretboard?
To you continue the compound fretboard somehow and make it even flatter? Or you just set it to 12?

Thanks!

I mean, there's room for personal taste here... But the theoretically correct answer is you continue the radius. 12th fret is the midpoint between the nut and the bridge, 24th (where the radius is measured) is halfway again, so it flattens 3 inches in 3/4 f the distance to the bridge. That implies a bridge radius of around an inch flatter, 13", when you get to the bridge.
Suhr

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bridge setup compound radius? Reply with quote

AlexClou wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Set the action based on the last fret, distance between the string and the fret.
Simple as that. I usually press the string to the first fret when I do that to eliminate nut height.
fusion58

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bridge setup compound radius? Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
AlexClou wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Set the action based on the last fret, distance between the string and the fret.
Simple as that. I usually press the string to the first fret when I do that to eliminate nut height.

Re: string height:

If, for example, you were to set both 'E' strings to 1/16" at the last fret, then how high would you set the other four strings given the aforementioned radius (9.5 - 12?")
tWreCK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I set the action I adjust all the strings to the same height across the fretboard. I don't use a capo or press the strings down at the first fret like John does - just a preference. If I should encounter fret buzz (especially on the low E,A & D) strings I just go slightly higher until the buzz goes away or becomes tolerable for my playing style. I use a Stewmac string action gauge to measure.

Dan Erlewine suggests (in his books) raising the wound strings slightly higher than the plain strings due to the larger elliptical vibrating pattern to avoid fret buzz.

There are no set rules - adjust the action to your taste and playing style. Experiment with different setups until you feel comfortable you've found the right one.
Suhr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bridge setup compound radius? Reply with quote

You set each string from the top of the last fret to the string (distance inbetween) with the first fret fretted. Start with 1/16" for each string and adjust to taste. You dont set it to a radius gauge, that would be redundant.
fusion58 wrote:
Suhr wrote:
AlexClou wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Re: string height:

If, for example, you were to set both 'E' strings to 1/16" at the last fret, then how high would you set the other four strings given the aforementioned radius (9.5 - 12?")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: