Suhr :: View topic - Guitar setup - pickup height

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

Guitar setup - pickup height

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Guitar setup - pickup height Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry for a bit long post, hope someone can help me with this one.
I have a couple of Suhr standards in different pickup combinations, and all of them were bought used with setup heavily altered by previous owners. So I didnt have a chance to experience "factory setup" and I keep reading about how great it is.
Now, to the question.
Is there some kind of factory preffered pickup height, distance ftom top of the pickup to the bottom of the string, any kind of measurement to get it like "Suhr meant it to be" Smile
Also, should pickups be lowered on bass - treble side or distance should be equal on both sides?
I'm aware that this is made to be adjustable to personal taste, but I would really want to start from factory settings.
Thanks,
Misho
UberBill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: set up Reply with quote

SUHR ACTION SPEC

NECK RELIEF: While pressing on the D & G strings on the 1st and 17th fret, the relief should measure .005 (0.127mm) at the 7th fret. A capo may be used at 1st fret.
ACTION: Open strings should measure: 4/64 (1.587mm) at the last fret
GOTOH 510 BRIDGE PLATE: Approximately 3/64 (1.190mm) above body

SUHR PICKUP HEIGHT

* Measurements taken with string depressed at last (highest) fret

ALL SINGLE COILS: LOW E 8/64 (3.175mm), HIGH E 6/64 (2.381mm)
NECK HUMBUCKER: LOW E 7/64 (2.778mm), HIGH E 6/64 (1.587mm)
BRIDGE HUMBUCKER: LOW E 6/64 (2.381mm), HIGH E 5/64 (1.984mm)
S90S: LOW E 8/64 (2.778mm), HIGH E 6/64 (2.381mm)

IMPORTANT -PLEASE TAKE ALL MEASUREMENTS WITH THE GUITAR IN THE PLAYING POSITION!
Misho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: set up Reply with quote

UberBill wrote:
SUHR ACTION SPEC

NECK RELIEF: While pressing on the D & G strings on the 1st and 17th fret, the relief should measure .005 (0.127mm) at the 7th fret. A capo may be used at 1st fret.
ACTION: Open strings should measure: 4/64 (1.587mm) at the last fret
GOTOH 510 BRIDGE PLATE: Approximately 3/64 (1.190mm) above body

SUHR PICKUP HEIGHT

* Measurements taken with string depressed at last (highest) fret

ALL SINGLE COILS: LOW E 8/64 (3.175mm), HIGH E 6/64 (2.381mm)
NECK HUMBUCKER: LOW E 7/64 (2.778mm), HIGH E 6/64 (1.587mm)
BRIDGE HUMBUCKER: LOW E 6/64 (2.381mm), HIGH E 5/64 (1.984mm)
S90S: LOW E 8/64 (2.778mm), HIGH E 6/64 (2.381mm)

IMPORTANT -PLEASE TAKE ALL MEASUREMENTS WITH THE GUITAR IN THE PLAYING POSITION!

Hi, thanks for helping me.
About pickup height, what do You mean by
"* Measurements taken with string depressed at last (highest) fret"?
Also, what distance to measure? From bottom of string? To what?
Thanks,
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: set up Reply with quote

Misho wrote:
About pickup height, what do You mean by
"* Measurements taken with string depressed at last (highest) fret"?
Also, what distance to measure? From bottom of string? To what?
Thanks,

If you have 22 frets, fret the string at the 22nd fret.
Measure from bottom of string to the highest point on the pickup.
Misho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Drew7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't really an "ideal" pickup height a guitar was "designed" for. The real major limiting factor is magnetic pull and the impact on intonation (especially with singlecoils), but as long as you're below that point, you're in the clear.

For singlecoils, fret the last or second to last fret on the neck and pluck your low E string. Start raising the neck pickup until you hear the overtones on the note start to warble and become atonal - that's the point where magnetic pull is impacting the ability of the note to ring true. Back it off until a quarter turn past the point where it rings clearly again - that's your max height. Repeat on the treble side, then balance the remaining pickups against the neck (while checking when you're done that they're not impacting the vibration of the string, either).

Beyond that, I've noticed - at least through my amp, a Mesa MArk-V - that pickup-to-pickup differentiation is more distinct with slightly lower pickup height, so once I've found my max, I'll start flipping through different positions on a Strat-style guitar, and if backing all the pickups off another couple quarter turns makes me hear the differences in tone between the neck and the middle more distinctly, then I'd probably go with that rather than the hottest possible signal - with a modern guitar amp, getting adequate saturation isn't really a concern.

For humbuckers, I'll do this almost entirely by ear. Magnetic pull isn't as obvious a factor as with with Strats, so I'll generally just stay under 2mm with the top fret fretted, and then raise the pickup position I like most in that guitar, or the pickup that's the most height-sensitive, etc up and down until I think it sounds the best. Then, I'll balance remaining pickups with that.

This is definitely way more of an art than a science, though, and while Suhr has factory specs, I suspect that's more to ensure consistency, than it is the pickups are "designed" to be exactly that distance from the strings.
74autodetailer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm wondering what the difference is between... jacking the bridge up high and simply lowering the pickups, specifically on a Stratocaster.

I've heard numerous times that a better 60's blues sound is achieved by jacking the bridge so its further from the pickups. Are some Strat pickups not adjustable in height?

Also, on the (two-pickup model) Telecaster, I've read that rewiring it so that one of the pickups phase-inverted "produces a range of tones that has to be heard to be believed".

If this is true, why would Fender not add a reverse phase switch? Has anyone tried this?
Drew7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74autodetailer wrote:
Hi. I'm wondering what the difference is between... jacking the bridge up high and simply lowering the pickups, specifically on a Stratocaster.

I've heard numerous times that a better 60's blues sound is achieved by jacking the bridge so its further from the pickups. Are some Strat pickups not adjustable in height?

Also, on the (two-pickup model) Telecaster, I've read that rewiring it so that one of the pickups phase-inverted "produces a range of tones that has to be heard to be believed".

If this is true, why would Fender not add a reverse phase switch? Has anyone tried this?

Well, for your first question, rasing the bridge may create more space between the strings and the pickups, but it also has the effect of increasing the action and moving the strings further away from the fretboard, especially on the higher frets. Some people like high action, some don't, and especially on a vintage radius neck with small frets I could see higher action being helpful for large bends for blues playing, but with a flatter/multi-radius neck notes don't really choke out the same way so it's less of a factor. You can of course raise the bridge and then shim the neck to increase neck angle to compensate so there's no change in action... but at that point, all you're really doing is increasing the distance between the strings and pickups, and it's a lot easier to just lower the pickups, and it'll get you to the same place.

As far as your Telecaster question - early on, Fender didn't really pay attention to the polarity (not phase - the two get used inerchangably often when talking about pickups, but it's polarity here) of their pickups, so the now-classic "middle position" reverse-wound reverse-polarity sounds we've all come to know and love from a Strat were a pure accident, you'd have to stick the 3-position pickup switch between positions, and hope your middle pickup happened to be out of polarity with either the neck or the bridge to get that sound. In the case of the Strat Fender eventually started building them this way in the late 70s because by then it became an incredibly common mod, but evidently it never really caught on in the same way with Telecasters.

I'm also - and I'll be the first to admit that while I've got the basic of wiring a guitar down, I'm hardly a guru - not sure if there's really a good way to reverse the polarity of a single-coil pickup using a switch. If so, you could probably find a diagram online and wire a Telecaster this way, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: