Suhr :: View topic - New Floyd Rose vs. Old ones?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

New Floyd Rose vs. Old ones?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve R.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: New Floyd Rose vs. Old ones? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Quick question.......

Do you guys feel the new FRO's sound the same as the ones made back in the '80's? If not, what tonal differences have you found?

Clearly, the build quality is not as good as it used to be. I find the bridge saddles are not as nicely made, and look like rough casting surfaces, which seem to lead to more broken strings. Anyone else experience this?

Finally, has anyone found ways to improve the current production version? i.e. filing string grooves in the saddles to eliminate rough spots, etc.? Any other recommended mods?

Any advice on this would be apprectiated.

Kind Regards,
Steve
JDouglee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difference I find is that the newer saddle heights are kind of all over the map. Sometimes the B will be way too low next to a really high G string. Thank goodness I found a guy that makes saddle shims so I can dial that in, and get a comfortable radius going.
Matt5150

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually spoke to Jim Tyler about this today.

He indicated one of his biggest beefs with the Floyd is that the radius always seems to be off, and the saddles need to be shimmed.

If the manufacturing tolerances are high, I would think they would be consistent from one to another.

<Matt
MikeE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on sound since my two guitars, both with Floyds, are very different wood combinations.

My '91 Charvel has a Schaller made Floyd that has never had an issue and this was my only electric until I bought my Suhr last year. After all of the beating it took (Vai style) it still works great.

My Suhr Floyd was sent back once for a bad saddle and at least one more is having the same issue. It doesn't feel as good quality wise as the old Schaller. As the OP said "Clearly, the build quality is not as good as it used to be. I find the bridge saddles are not as nicely made, and look like rough casting surfaces, which seem to lead to more broken strings." I notice this too, and I do break more strings now that I think about it.

Mike E.
Matt5150

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at my old Floyd on my Strat (it is at least 15 years old) and the Floyd on my Anderson and there seems to be very little difference.

I think that there are good and bad batches of every product that is manufactured and this could account for some issues people have experienced.

I still do not think there is a better bridge on the market, especially for the Vai-type stuff.

Matt V.
MERCYFULFATE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floyd rose tremelo"s are the best in the world. second is the ibanez edge imo.

lets not get "liscensed by" confused with the o.g. floyds, again, other than the good ones. the real german made floyds are superior. the ones that say original are true floyds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: