Suhr :: View topic - Standard Pro - Odd static/noise

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Standard Pro - Odd static/noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suhrthing!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Standard Pro - Odd static/noise Reply with quote

Hey all, first post to the forum, love Suhr guitars, best in the biz! Gotta say it before I go into detail about some issues!

So I have this sort of problematic Standard Pro. I've never been 100% happy with the playability. Anyway, gig in a few hours and thought this morning I'd give a setup a go again and bring it out tonight. Background, there's always been a more-than-usual compromise with this axe between buzz and playability, here comes the catch...

On a couple gigs, I noticed at some point throughout the night that I hear it producing a "sitar-like" tone (often I stand next to a drummer with an amp pointed at my back so it's hard to hear tone in detail at every given moment). Given the historic trouble with fret-buzz I simply attributed it to strings choking out and put more setup tweaking on the to-do list.... well...

I set it up again today, turned out half decent, kept A/B-ing it with my Modern as a benchmark (plays like a dream), which was when I noticed something puzzling.

There's this static-y, tonal artifact that accompanies the sound of the guitar, maybe half the volume of the instrument's pure tone. Play a note, triad, chord, what have you and there's static that carries along with the notes. Almost reminds me of an active preamp with a weak battery. Anyway, because I was testing for buzz I just had the amp clean, no pedals etc., but listening closely to it it's evident that this tonal artifact is what's causing the "sitar" effect I'm getting, of course it's way pronounced once I'm running through compressor, overdrives, cranked amp etc. bringing the noise floor up.

I compared with the Modern and a Telecaster; no such noise from either of them. I've never heard anything like this before, and, well, it's simply not supposed to be there. The instrument is only about a year old.

Anyone have any ideas? It has the SSCII system FWIW.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like defective electronics to me

Happened to my Standard Pro S4 (yeah, very old, back when it was called S1-S6) a few years ago. The SSH+ humbucker just won't stay quiet and there is significant buzzing and static if I'm not touching the string, which I suspected a potential grounding issue or maybe some wires came loose after years of use.

I sent it back to the factory to get it fixed and they hooked up me up with a free full setup, fret upgrade (they upgraded me to the new Stainless Steel frets) and cut me a new nut. Now this thing is perfect again and it's been 3 years.

Hopefully you can do the same, contact their customer support and see if it's possible for you to send it back for repair. If not, hopefully you have a local tech that you trust to debug the electronics.

Speaking of Moderns though... Moderns should not be allowed to exist... they're just way too good Razz
Suhr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Standard Pro - Odd static/noise Reply with quote

Suhrthing! wrote:
Hey all, first post to the forum, love Suhr guitars, best in the biz! Gotta say it before I go into detail about some issues!

So I have this sort of problematic Standard Pro. I've never been 100% happy with the playability. Anyway, gig in a few hours and thought this morning I'd give a setup a go again and bring it out tonight. Background, there's always been a more-than-usual compromise with this axe between buzz and playability, here comes the catch...

On a couple gigs, I noticed at some point throughout the night that I hear it producing a "sitar-like" tone (often I stand next to a drummer with an amp pointed at my back so it's hard to hear tone in detail at every given moment). Given the historic trouble with fret-buzz I simply attributed it to strings choking out and put more setup tweaking on the to-do list.... well...

I set it up again today, turned out half decent, kept A/B-ing it with my Modern as a benchmark (plays like a dream), which was when I noticed something puzzling.

There's this static-y, tonal artifact that accompanies the sound of the guitar, maybe half the volume of the instrument's pure tone. Play a note, triad, chord, what have you and there's static that carries along with the notes. Almost reminds me of an active preamp with a weak battery. Anyway, because I was testing for buzz I just had the amp clean, no pedals etc., but listening closely to it it's evident that this tonal artifact is what's causing the "sitar" effect I'm getting, of course it's way pronounced once I'm running through compressor, overdrives, cranked amp etc. bringing the noise floor up.

I compared with the Modern and a Telecaster; no such noise from either of them. I've never heard anything like this before, and, well, it's simply not supposed to be there. The instrument is only about a year old.

Could be a dirty volume pot, get so De-Oxit and spray the volume pot inside as well as some on the 5way. If that doesn’t work please contact CS.
Thanks
Suhr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Standard Pro - Odd static/noise Reply with quote

Suhrthing! wrote:

Could be a dirty volume pot, get so De-Oxit and spray the volume pot inside as well as some on the 5way. If that doesn’t work please contact CS.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: