Suhr :: View topic - does John build the strats Eric Clapton plays?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

does John build the strats Eric Clapton plays?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brokeguitar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: does John build the strats Eric Clapton plays? Reply with quote

Is that true?
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John clarifies it himself on this forum thread, his username is "Husky":

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/clapton-playing-suhr-guitars.887651/
brokeguitar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that is kool! Thats awesome that John actually got to work on Blackie!

Also is such a trip that John made him 3 amps, and I bet they couldn't have cost Eric more than 5K each but yet one of them sold for 42K!!!!! So it increased in value by over 37K just because Eric owned it awhile and played/recorded a few songs with it, hahaha, wow!

It's crazy how people are willing to pay an insane amount of money simply because a celebrity has used it or owned it.... I mean them using it/owning really dosen't make it become magical all of a sudden.

I used to think wow Slash of Guns N Roses must really spend a lot of money on guitars because he litterally has over 300 guitars.... but then I thought no not really, because Slash may buy a nice Gibson for $5,000 say, but from the moment he buys it, he knows he could probably throw that up on auction and get $50,000 for it just a week later just by recording a song with it or appearing on tv or a show with it.

I think Yngwie does the same.... I think most of his strats have no more mojo than any you or I would buy... but every month you see him on ebay selling one for like 100K or trading 2 or 3 of them for a Ferrari.

Just because they touch it, it's suddenly worth 10 times what they paid for it.... I'm not even talking about iconic guitars like Blackie, or the Duck or #1.... I mean litterally ANY guitar.... these rock icons can own it for a week or so and re sell it to a superfan or collector and get 10 times what they paid for it.

Yngwie could buy a brand new YJM signature series guitar from guitar center today, keep it for a week and easily sell it for 10 times that....

Must be nice to know that if you wanted to, you could never play again or work again, just sit at home and buy guitars, take a photo with it or autograph it and make $$$ hahaha

Nice benefits rockstars have...
But its just crazy that a sucker is born every minute that will come along and pay anything the asking price is.

That same guy that paid 42K for Erics amp coulda gotten 10 of those same amps made for him by John.... what a sucker some people are.

The magic is in the player not the instruments.
brokeguitar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else I wonder.... How come Steve Stevens isn't an official endorser of Suhr in the same way that Pete Thorn and Doug Aldrich are? I seen the video of Pete and Steve on the Suhr site... but I never hear Steve Stevens being a spokeperson fro the Suhr Brand.... I think it'd be cool if Suhr came out with a Suhr Steve Stevens Signature model with Signature Stevens pickups.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could argue that if a famous musician recorded a famous hit song with a piece of gear, then owning that piece of gear is technically owning "a piece of music history"

There are plenty of rich collectors out there who are into that kind of stuff so they create the market for it. There are also FANATIC fanboys who will buy literally anything their heroes sell as long as they can afford it somehow regardless of whether they used it on a song or performance or not. Just look at how much people are willing to pay for a Paul Stanley guitar strap if he's ever touched or used it.

Speaking of being suckers, it's not like we're THAT far from it Razz We all pay a bit of a premium playing this brand no matter how you justify it. Why? Because we love this stuff! I love all my Suhr guitars, and they all cost me an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney. Most people certainly think I'm out of my mind for paying this kind of money for a guitar when, objectively speaking, you can buy a quality instrument with quality components from plenty of other reputable makers for less. You don't get the same customer service nor warranty nor craftsmanship, but with a bit of know-how and handy work, you can do a lot of mods yourself and arrive at a comparable guitar for far less money. Heck, Kiesel will build you a nice USA guitar for far less money with far less wait time with arguably much more customization.

But I love how these things play, sound, and look. Nobody else makes a guitar that is the Modern. There are similar guitars out there, but I just happen to find the Modern to be exactly what I want in terms of specs and feel, and I'm willing to save up and pay up (up to a certain point of course). The premium I pay is a sign of my support for the company for their product design. The Modern is my personal dream ultimate superstrat, and I'm a superstrat fanboy, so the Modern is literally my dream guitar, lol

As for Steve Stevens... no clue! He was seen with a bunch of Moderns (hell yeah!) in several video interviews. The guy also has as many guitars as there are stars in the sky so who knows! All I know is that he also thinks the Modern is the ultimate shred stick and so I think he's got good taste
brokeguitar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have to say I prefer the superstrat... I based my Suhr off a Charvel type.

Les Pauls are too bulky at the neck joing for me and awkward, and I don't know if it's the mahogany or the maple/set neck or what.... But they always have this deeper tone that almost sounds as if you rolled the tone knob back some or somethig...

Whereas "shred machines" have this more midrange/treble that edgier and just cuts through like leatherfaces chainsaw.

Of course Randy Rhoads and Doug Aldrich and John Sykes all got some pretty Metal tones and had no issues navigating them...
I still hear too much Slash/Jimmy Page tone when I play Les Pauls... However, I do love the 24.75 scale length because that does seem easier to play.

And then you got the other end of the spectrum, the Fender Strat...
To me singlecoils just sound too weak... and they sound too twangy.
I know YJM uses them and he has great tone... but as much as I love YJM tone.... I prefer a tone of distortion in my tone.... think Mark Day.
With a Strat I feel like I'm fighting an uphil battle tone wise.

So even though I have owned a ton of Fender Strats and Gibson Les Pauls in the past.... BC Rich Warlocks, Jackson Rhoads, and Ibanez Jems are what I've always felt the most comfortable on.

Granted none of those excells at doing the SRV or the Slash thing.... but if I'm really honest with myself, 95% of the time I am shredding full out.... only 5% of the time do I ever noodle around with Blues like srv or rock like Slash lead tones.

I'm more of a YJM, Rhoads, Vai, Becker, Satriani guy.
Instrumentals.

I've only got the one Suhr... but it's the best I ever had. I sold all of my guitars after I got it except for a Godin I use for soft synth stuff and a Rainsong acoustic I use for fingerstyle.

I was kinda lusting after a new Ibanez Jem today because I thout at midnight Namm was gonna release a Floral Pattern 3 model.... but it was a bad rumor, all they did was release a Indonesian version of the White Jem for $1,700 with the ebony board.

It's an addiction.
Part of me wants to spec out a USA Custom Warlock for like $2,700 but then another part of me says no, use that money towards a new Suhr instead. (i can't afford to buy everything I want, so I have to really fight with myself sometimes to make up my mind! Theres so much temptation!)

But I know now that the Suhr is a Sure thing (pun intended) and I worry if I pay $2,700 for a bc rich warlock and wait 3 months for that, I may end up getting it and it just collect dust while I'm playing my Suhr all the time.

It's a battle of my logical mind vs my emotional heart..... my logical mind is what made me sell about a dozen guitars after I got my Suhr... Logical mind said sell these, because I can't afford to just let expensive guitars sit around if I'm never really playing them.... but my emotional heart says man I shouldn't have sold them, they were nice to look at even if I was never gonna really play them much anymore. In the middle of logic/emotion there is the thought that even if you hardly ever play a guitar it's nice to own so that in a rare time that you DO wanna pick it up and play you have it.

Soetimes I go to guitar center just so I can pick up and play Gibsons and Fenders a few minutes, just to remind myself how I really wouldn't play them enough to justify the money spent if I bought them. Like if I go to Guitar Center once a month, it does a lot of good keeping temptation away, because then I come back home and play my Suhr and I think, yeah this is so much better, I'm glad I didn't throw money away AGAIN on other brands of guitars.

But it's a real addiction man....
I could fall off the wagon at any time!
I'm gonna be an addict the rest of my life even if I never buy another guitar!
That temptation to buy again is ALWAYS going to be there.

I was even browsing Gruhns guitars online awhile back, thinking wow thats a nice vintage Strat for $15,000 , now how can I get 15K to buy that?
Then after about 2 hours of entertaining that, I came to the conclusion that would be stupid, because if I bought a vintage strat, I'd repaint it, put SS jumbo frets on it, change all the hardware and pickups and tuners and bridge and electronics.... ALL THAT WOULD BE LEFT WOULD BE A WOOD NECK AND WOOD BODY original. So that seemed like a waste haha!

If money were not a issue, I'd probably own at least 30 or 40 guitars. But I don't forsee that anytime in my lifetime haha. I mean I could I guess, if I wanted to live in an apartment forever, but for that money I could buy me a peice of land and have a custom house built.

I'm not joking at all though when I say guitars are a real addition to me. I've probbaly owned two hundred guitars in my life so far. Sometimes I have even went as far as to buy a guitar, sell it, a year later buy same model again, then few months later sell it again, then couple years later buy that same exact model a third time only to sell it again a year later. I've done that with at least 6 particular guitars in the past.

Guitars that tempt me the most are the Signature guitars, or sometimes not a sig guitar, but the type of guitar someone is known for playing... which adds even more emtional value to the guitar to me.

It's a great feeling though having a room full of them even if you do nothing but look at them as if they are peices of art... but I'm 44 and I don't even own a house, and I don't make that much money, so at this point it's hard for me to not see that as a waste.

I spent $25,000 last year fixing my teeth, it made me so mad though putting all that money in my mouth when I would have rather bought guitars... a part of me wants to spend $25,000 THIS year on guitars just to make that up to myself to balance it out... I am still fightig that temptation... I will keep you posted on who wins out this hear my logical mind or my emotional heart... of course a lot of that also depends on how much money I actually make this year. I recently started a commision based job, and have no idea for sure yet how that's going to pan out this new year money wise... there's potential to make anywhere from $23,000 a year (which I can't live on if that's all I make in which case I will have to look for a new job in the next couple months) to over $100,000 a year (which if I make close to 100K or above this year, I will say screw it and probably buy back a lot of guitars I sold as well as a few new ones I want regardless of if I ever play them or not.)

So I will see what happens.

But I'm almost at the point that, who cares if I don't play other guitars, if owning them anyways gives me a little more peace of mind, then maybe that's enough to justify the money spent on them.

I mean most people spend a lot of money on owning a car each year.... I don't own a car and never ever plan to own a car in my life unless the self driving cars fall below $20,000 (because i hate driving), so part of my logic tells me I'm already saving so much money by not having a car, I should just be using all of that to buy guitars! haha!

It's a real addiction.
To the point that sometimes, instead of actually PLAYING my guitar, I will just surf the internet for 8 to 12 hours in a single day just window shopping other guitars... no exaggeration.... 8 to 12 hours doing nothing more than looking at guitars online non stop until I fall asleep.

If I ever won a lottery for 10 million dollars, I would probably spend AT LEAST 1 whole million on nothing but guitars.... and even then I'd still be wanting more. I don't think there's ever really enough.

So many different colors and hardware and pickup and wood configurations you could just do on one model of a Suhr.

Slash has about 300 guitars, probably 200 of those are Gibson Les Pauls.

If I had 300 guitars, probably 150 would be different configurations/models/colors of Suhrs, and the other 150 would be variations of other brands, probably 20 signature guitars, a dozen Ibanez guitars, a dozen Les Pauls, a dozen Strats, a dozen Charvels, a dozen Jacksons, probably 4 dozen BC Rich guitars.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of rolled back tone knobs on Les Paul, John did chime in one time and said many old Gibsons were using 300k pots for everything. Compared to 500k pots that we see on modern superstrats, that really is just like rolling it down to just above half way, yielding a darker tone.

Auras have a unique 24.625" scale length. Very interesting that Suhr decided to do its own shorter scale, like PRS did, instead of following the Gibson 24.75"

You have some serious G.A.S., but then again, who here doesn't? lol
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaeniusZ wrote:
Speaking of rolled back tone knobs on Les Paul, John did chime in one time and said many old Gibsons were using 300k pots for everything. Compared to 500k pots that we see on modern superstrats, that really is just like rolling it down to just above half way, yielding a darker tone.

Auras have a unique 24.625" scale length. Very interesting that Suhr decided to do its own shorter scale, like PRS did, instead of following the Gibson 24.75"

You have some serious G.A.S., but then again, who here doesn't? lol
24.625 is actually closer to the early scale length and seems to be the most common, not 24.75. 24 3/4 is people rounding up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: