Suhr :: View topic - 2 Standards need help

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

2 Standards need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: 2 Standards need help Reply with quote

Hi, newbie here, nice to meet You and sorry in advance for a really long post.
I have a lot of questions that I need answers Smile
It's about my 2 Suhr guitars that are bought used.
First one is stock Pro series S3, HSS with non recessed 510 2 post tremolo.
SSH+ and 2 FL single coils
What i would like to add to it is humbacker split, so I have optional single coil sound in bridge position.
What is Suhr's suggestion for this?
What parts, push pull pots etc I need to buy? And what wiring?
Also at this moment I have problem with getting good bridge/middle position sound. It's not stratty-quacky as I would like it to to be.
It's a bit too agressive on clean sound, too trebly.
I bought it with heavily altered setup, so I would love to get it back to factory setup or as close as possible.
Pickup height, action, everything was messed up.
For me, floating tremolo, not extremely low action would be ok.

Another guitar is Standard Custom
Gotoh Floyd Rose bridge with Tremol-no, recessed, HSH with Aldrich humbackers, V60 middle.
First thing, this guitar is also heavily messed up setup wise, so I need suggestions how to get it back to factory setup as well.
I never had Tremol-no before so I cant directly compare, but bridge on this guitar feels stiff, it's not as live and reactive as I expect Floyd Rose to be, it doesn't flutter/gargle...
Electronics-wise I would also like to add humbacker splitting option, so I can get single coil sounds from bridge and neck, also suggestions and ideas for different wiring options are more then welcome, I saw Guthrie Govan Suhr wiring and it is really interesting, what else can be done?

I know it's a lot, thanks in advance, anybody willing to help on some of this?
Drew7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, unless you're not already comfortable doing all this work, your best bet is to find a good tech in your area and bring it to them, and tell them what you're looking for.

Setting up a guitar may not be rocket science, but it does take a bit of practice to be good at and reading between the lines (basically, that you're not happy with the setup, and you haven't already addressed it yourself) I imagine you don't have a ton of experience on this.

If you want to take a crack at it, Rich Harris' tech pages over at www.ibanezrules are great, and while he's working on Ibanez guitars there's nothing really brand-specific about how this stuff works (I think the Gotoh 510 may have the same style of locking trem studs as the Ibanez Edge floating bridge he's working on there, however). But, again, if you're not already comfortable working on a guitar, just bring it to a decent tech, and have them sort out the wiring too while you're at it.

There's no special magical "Suhr setup formula" or anything, and the odds of the setup exactly as it came from the factory being perfect for you aren't especially high (my Modern 6 was actually about perfect out of the box, but my Modern 7 I ended up tweaking a bit before it felt at home to me) just describe to the guy what you're looking for, and they can do the rest.
Organic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Drew7. It doesn't sound like you have experience with this stuff so you should either send the instruments back to Suhr to have them worked on or find a local tech / luthier. Either way, you should email Suhr support because they can give you suggested wiring diagrams to help your tech know what to do.

I recently tried my hand at a full setup. I didn't get it right the first time, but was able to start over a few days later and get the guitar just how I want it. I think it is worth it to learn to do it yourself at some point (saves money and time), but this might not be the best time for you given that the guitars are totally out of wack at the moment.
Drew7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing I'll add - there's no shame at all in not having the experience and ability to do your own setups. I personally enjoy doing it and think that since the only person who knows exactly how I want a guitar to play is me, then doing it myself is the best way to guarantee I get it right... But, if you don't have that interest, then there's nothing wrong with just focusing on playing and letting someone else do the work for you.

I will say that, while I enjoy the work, I'm constantly making slight quarter-turn adjustments here and there, so the flip side is you're always tweaking if you do it yourself. Laughing
Misho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
You are right, I don't have much experience with setup, but I want to learn.
Any serious work I will leave to qualified person. Unfortunately, shipping to Suhr is not an option.
What I would be really happy to get from You is opinions and advices.
Something like "wiring on Guthrie Govan's model is ok but
I would suggest XY because of XY"
I don't know what options I have, I'm not experienced in that field and that's what I need in a first place.
Drew7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While learning how to do your own tech work, at least for basic setup stuff, is definitely a good idea, there are a WORLD of options between "do it yourself" and "send it to Suhr." I don't know where in the world you are, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't a reputable tech close to where you are who could go over your guitar for you, give them a nice setup, and discuss some wiring options with you. Without seeing the guitars myself or being able to play around with them a bit to try to figure out how they're wired at present, a good tech can give you much better feedback than any of us can over the internet.
ATLMikeyD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
Only other thing I'll add - there's no shame at all in not having the experience and ability to do your own setups. I personally enjoy doing it and think that since the only person who knows exactly how I want a guitar to play is me, then doing it myself is the best way to guarantee I get it right... But, if you don't have that interest, then there's nothing wrong with just focusing on playing and letting someone else do the work for you.

I will say that, while I enjoy the work, I'm constantly making slight quarter-turn adjustments here and there, so the flip side is you're always tweaking if you do it yourself. Laughing

Solid advice. I highly recommend for your sanity and happiness that you do not use those fine guitars to learn how to do a setup on a guitar. I wholeheartedly hope that you contact Suhr's excellent customer service and find a way to get the guitars back to them for proper work.

I have a friend that started tweaking a mid-line Les Paul without adequate knowledge of what he was doing and watched some youtube videos on guitar setup that he either misinterpreted or did not adhere to guidelines. The guitar ended up being in far worse shape than before and took some serious work to repair. Don't be that guy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: