Suhr :: View topic - Are my fret buzz standards too high??

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

Are my fret buzz standards too high??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Are my fret buzz standards too high?? Reply with quote

I recently bought a used 2016 Classic S Antique in great shape and am LOVING it. But there's one thing that is driving me crazy...it's FRET BUZZ, particularly on the EAD strings. Using the measurements provided by Suhr support, I've set it up very close to factory spec. I've experimented with slightly more relief, higher action, even a different string set (10-52, and yes I readjusted the setup to account for this). I'm not a particularly heavy picker, and I tend to use cleaner Fender-ish tones via my Fractal AX-8. I feel like unless I barely pick at the strings (i.e. lighter than any typical guitarist would hit them IMO) OR I raise the action to a slightly uncomfortable level, a bit of buzz always comes through the amp. Not an absurd amount that kills the sustain, but just enough that you can tell there's that certain "snap" or "rattle", if that makes sense.

With regards to my ideal action, this spec from Suhr's measurements describes what feels pretty comfortable to me: 'Open strings should measure: 4/64 at the last fret'. Although 6-7/64" feels not too bad. It just seems like on such a high end guitar, I should expect to be able to get a nice low-ish action free of fret buzz, otherwise I might as well buy a MIM Strat get it PLEK'd Wink So a few questions:

- Are my expectations too high? Am I always going to deal with a hint of buzz if I want low action, regardless of instrument quality?

- Is playing through an AX-8 instead of a "real" amp accentuating higher "buzzy" frequencies which I wouldn't notice as much through a cranked tube amp w/ more limited frequency response?

- When a typical Suhr leaves the factory after a fresh setup, does it really play so smoothly that an average guitarist can pick the EAD strings anywhere along the neck and not get buzz coming through their amp? Or is this unreasonable?
qwe200

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three Suhr Standards with low action and none of them had or have any buzz anywhere on the neck. I've even sent two of them back to the factory for modifications and setup. Those played buzz-free as well.

If it's something that is bothering you, I would recommend being more persistent with customer support. It would bother me. Maybe you can work out a deal where you send it in and if they determine a problem, it falls under warranty. Otherwise they fix the setup and give you the specifics on how to repeat it.
AlexClou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same with my classic s antique, they are apparently very sensitive to your touch.
I played a crappy telecaster before, on which I had to pick quite hard to get a good tone out of it, so picking just 'a bit' softer didn't do the job for the Suhr. I had to really fully adjust my touch to the classic s antique and now it sounds fine. There's still a slight buzz here and there, but barely noticeable through the amp.
Hope that helps!
noice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts; thanks for the replies! I have been debating every day for the past week if this is an actual problem with the guitar or a problem with my playing technique Confused The annoying thing is that the weather has truly been all over the place in the month that I've had this guitar...freezing one day and mid sixties the next. So I doubt that's helping the neck settle in nicely to its new home either.

It's to the point where the low E is the only string with really bothersome buzz. I'm thinking if I can't get it right after a few more tweaks I will likely end up sending it to Suhr like you suggested qwe200.

AlexClou - just curious, when you say you had to fully adjust your touch, what does that entail? Are you picking single notes & strumming chords significantly softer that you would on other guitars now?
AlexClou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that I pick much softer in that sense, it's more like I put the pick way less deep in between the strings, while the initial punch stays almost the same. My Tele, I have to pick it more 'brutal'.
I thinks it's really about the technique and whether one is used to a high end instrument, I definitely wasn't.
The neck on mine took like 2 months to settle in, I bought it just when it switched from autumn to winter. Now it's just stable and plays awesome.
How ever, before sending it back, I would try changing the strings and see if it makes a difference already. And if not, bring it to a local guitar tech, to just have a look at it. If possible, a guitar tech that knows Suhr guitars.
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always send it in and let us have a look
at it

noice wrote:
Interesting thoughts; thanks for the replies! I have been debating every day for the past week if this is an actual problem with the guitar or a problem with my playing technique Confused The annoying thing is that the weather has truly been all over the place in the month that I've had this guitar...freezing one day and mid sixties the next. So I doubt that's helping the neck settle in nicely to its new home either.

It's to the point where the low E is the only string with really bothersome buzz. I'm thinking if I can't get it right after a few more tweaks I will likely end up sending it to Suhr like you suggested qwe200.

AlexClou - just curious, when you say you had to fully adjust your touch, what does that entail? Are you picking single notes & strumming chords significantly softer that you would on other guitars now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: