Suhr :: View topic - Strings, Springs, and Other Things

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Strings, Springs, and Other Things

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GitarDude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Strings, Springs, and Other Things Reply with quote

I searched the forum countlessly and even probed a few times.. I’ve noticed it pops up in drabs here and there but really..

HOW IS NO ONE DISCUSSING THIS!?

Id love to know which sTring brand/gauges everyone uses on their Suhr and what brand and orientation of sPrings you use to counter balance the weight and keep the tone and feel perfect! IMO this is a very important part of simple yet personal feel and would thoroughly Love to see any discussion on this with you the Suhr faithful.
lreese

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not rocket science to me.

D'Addario 9.5-44 or 10-46. Fairly inexpensive, available in bulk. Sounds good, durable and lasts for me.

Springs - 3 straight, whatever brand.
HiOctane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been partial to Dean Markley strings - particularly the Blue Steel.

That said, I have to agree with Ireese that D'Addario strings are fairly priced, consistent and durable, so I have been using them more lately.
I don't know if this is still the case, but I believe they were the standard on Suhr guitars at one time.

Same with me on the trem setup as well - three springs straight.
UberBill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D’Addario Chromes 10 - 48
Most people don’t use these, unless they’re jazz players (which, is my primary genre)
One problem, for me, is that the 3rd string is wound (which I like ) but when it comes time to set intonation the bridge adjustment has to be set super sharp and it takes it to the max. Consequently, I’ve just started trading out the 3rd for a plain .017.
The other thing is the 6th is .048. I would prefer it to be .046, only because my new Alt-T has a new Wilkinson locking tremolo bridge and that fat .048 just makes it under the locking screw.
I haven’t considered custom string sets, yet. I assume it would be too costly $
John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D’addario NYXL 10 -46, standard springs, no changes to original setup , plays like a dream, classic S antique,
GitarDude

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberBill wrote:
D’Addario Chromes 10 - 48
Most people don’t use these, unless they’re jazz players (which, is my primary genre)
One problem, for me, is that the 3rd string is wound (which I like ) but when it comes time to set intonation the bridge adjustment has to be set super sharp and it takes it to the max. Consequently, I’ve just started trading out the 3rd for a plain .017.
The other thing is the 6th is .048. I would prefer it to be .046, only because my new Alt-T has a new Wilkinson locking tremolo bridge and that fat .048 just makes it under the locking screw.
I haven’t considered custom string sets, yet. I assume it would be too costly $

Ive been interested in custom or different ‘balance’ string sets but havnt gotten around to it..love to hear from u if u try any and how it sounds!
Chuckracer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently switched to Curt Mangan strings after years of using D'Addarios or Elixirs when I wanted a different feel for a while. 10 to 46 and they're amazing strings, so responsive and last forever!
GitarDude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckracer wrote:
I just recently switched to Curt Mangan strings after years of using D'Addarios or Elixirs when I wanted a different feel for a while. 10 to 46 and they're amazing strings, so responsive and last forever!

Ah very cool! Love that theyre USA made too I’ll definitelt look into them
Chuckracer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 month follow-up: still loving the Curt Mangan strings. They're nickle plated over a hex core just like lots of others are, but I recently got a Les Paul with new D'Addario XL110's on it and waited two days to change them...couldn't deal with them! And I used to love them!
Brad1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Ball regular slinkys. I put a new set on a few days prior to a gig and I never use them for more than one gig. I buy them in bulk when they're on sale for $3.99 a pack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: