Suhr :: View topic - Has anyone "decked" their Gotoh 510?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Has anyone "decked" their Gotoh 510?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Has anyone "decked" their Gotoh 510? Reply with quote

I have a classic antique with the Gotoh 510 2P-BS-SB bridge. Currently set up for floating, but at times I have blocked it. I swear I can tell a slight difference in tone (a little less bright) when it was blocked. I would actually like to deck the trem so that it is flat against the body. Floating, it's presently parallel with the body at roughly 1/8" above the body. Maybe 3/16". I intend to measure with a Vernier caliper before making any changes. I'm aware that I need to lower the two posts that the trem pivots on in order to lower the trem flat onto the body. I also believe that there's a locking pin on each post that will have to first be loosened in order to lower the posts. I'll also need to install taller saddle height screws to compensate for the lower bridge.

Has anyone successfully done this?

I read up on the "Tremolo no" as an alternative and it doesn't appeal to me because the thumb screws supposedly protrude beyond the back of the guitar and get hung up on your clothing. That would drive me nuts. And like I mentioned earlier, there's a bit of an adverse effect on tone (at least to my ears) with the wood block in the trem cavity. On one of my other classic antiques, I did make a block out of brass (instead of wood) and that is pretty interesting. Still, I'd like to try decked.

Thanks.
Chuckracer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decked is easy enough with the two post 510. I wind up doing it on every guitar including Suhrs with 510s and always have great results. To my ear the tone and tuning stability is improved enough to make it worthwhile.

I don't think there's a locking screw inside the studs, I think that's an Ibanez thing. I would loosen the strings first though so the entire string tension is nut being taken by the knife edge pivots as you make the adjustment. It could damage them.

You should be able to get away with the stock saddle crews for your action adjustment but if not they're available thru Amazon for less than 5 bucks for all 6.

Go for it! If you don't like it you can always change it back, right? Smile
Brad1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckracer wrote:
Decked is easy enough with the two post 510. I wind up doing it on every guitar including Suhrs with 510s and always have great results. To my ear the tone and tuning stability is improved enough to make it worthwhile.

I don't think there's a locking screw inside the studs, I think that's an Ibanez thing. I would loosen the strings first though so the entire string tension is nut being taken by the knife edge pivots as you make the adjustment. It could damage them.

You should be able to get away with the stock saddle crews for your action adjustment but if not they're available thru Amazon for less than 5 bucks for all 6.

Go for it! If you don't like it you can always change it back, right? Smile

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My plan was to measure everything with a vernier caliper (accurate to .001 inch) prior to making changes so that I can go back to factory settings.

I checked with Suhr support and they said there are locking pins for the posts. I can't see them, but I believe you have to remove the trem block first to be able to access them.

Yeah, I was going to remove the strings and springs as first step (after I measure everything) as it would definitely be a bad idea to try and perform that work with tension on anything.
Drew7

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone "decked" their Gotoh 510? Reply with quote

Brad1 wrote:

I read up on the "Tremolo no" as an alternative and it doesn't appeal to me because the thumb screws supposedly protrude beyond the back of the guitar and get hung up on your clothing. That would drive me nuts.

Longtime Tremol-no user - beta-tester, in fact - and I can assure you this isn't the case. The thumbscrews sit entirely inside the trem cavity, and in fact you can put the rear cover back on with the Tremol-no attached and cover the whole thing up and the world will never know the difference. I leave the cover off all my guitars partly so I can easily lock/unlock them, partly because ages ago I got my start playing blues and always thought that looked cool on SRV's guitars, but I don't have any issues with the thumbscrews catching on my clothing.

That said - if you're not rteally interested in ever having a floating option for your trem, it's certanly easier just to tighten the screws up enough to hold the trem in place while doing compound bends. I just kinda like having a floating trem.
Brad1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone "decked" their Gotoh 510? Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
Brad1 wrote:

I read up on the "Tremolo no" as an alternative and it doesn't appeal to me because the thumb screws supposedly protrude beyond the back of the guitar and get hung up on your clothing. That would drive me nuts.

Longtime Tremol-no user - beta-tester, in fact - and I can assure you this isn't the case. The thumbscrews sit entirely inside the trem cavity, and in fact you can put the rear cover back on with the Tremol-no attached and cover the whole thing up and the world will never know the difference. I leave the cover off all my guitars partly so I can easily lock/unlock them, partly because ages ago I got my start playing blues and always thought that looked cool on SRV's guitars, but I don't have any issues with the thumbscrews catching on my clothing.

That said - if you're not rteally interested in ever having a floating option for your trem, it's certanly easier just to tighten the screws up enough to hold the trem in place while doing compound bends. I just kinda like having a floating trem.

Given, what you stated about it NOT protruding outside of the cavity, I'm going to order a tremolo-no and give it a try.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: