Suhr :: View topic - What should I order when I plan my guitar order with Suhr

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

What should I order when I plan my guitar order with Suhr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: What should I order when I plan my guitar order with Suhr Reply with quote

Hey there guitar folk and luthiers. I need help with planning what to buy here at Suhr. I have been looking all around the net while thinking of what type of guitar I'd like and have landed here at Suhr Guitars. I've been playing for over 25 years starting on basss guitar then acoustic then electric about 10 years ago. I have always played improvisational rock and love the custom guitars Garcia played( pulleeeze no dissin' the Dead, some good things some bad things) starting with Alembic then Doug Irwin. I also love cruch like Neil Young, rock like Angus and Page, slide like Duane, tone like Kimock. Since I was a bass player I like to hear that bass come through in lower registers. Counrty clean reverb to Kurt feeding back I like alot of sounds. I don't play rythm guitar very much.

So I keep thinking that the Standard or Classic shape is a sure thing. Then for electronics I want 3 pups and a 5 way switch. I like blending the bridge in with other setting. I like cluck from the 2 and 4 position. I don't need a pickguard but I'm okay with one. The descriptions of wood make me think that a basswood body, chambered, with maple top and a maple neck are good for what I want. I don't know what pups to get and like both humbucker and single coil. H/H/S with the neck being single or H/S/H but what pups?

Here is what I came up with for a color: 2 tone sunbusrt starting in the middle with Bahama Blue to Emerald Green at the edges and whatever is suggested for sides and back. This on top of a maple quilt top. Nice and see through where you can lost in the finish.

Any input from players and John would helpful. Thanks for reading!

Hank
Matt5150

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank-

You couldn't have picked a better builder. I have owned them all and no one does a better guitar than John Suhr.

I agree with your assessment for your tonal requirements. A Basswood/Maple combo would be killer for what you need.

I am partial to H/S/S. Both the DSV and DSH sound wonderful, and there is nothing to compare to the V60's.

A pickguard is a must. It retains that Classic look we all want.

Hank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

OMG that is a beautiful piece! Thanks I really appreciate the input. H/S/S is still a consideration. What about the wiring? Does the Hum coil split? A five way with master tone? That is the color that I was thinking of fading into green as a sunburst. Or should I say Bahama Burst?
Matt5150

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank-

It has a split bridge, with Master Volume and Tone.

My Alder Classic has H/S/S as well. I had a beautiful 2-tone Sunburst Suhr, but really missed the humbucker at the bridge, so I sold it and picked up another.

Matt V.
dookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have one that kind of follows the same format though mine is alder with IRW...

Push/pull HB split on the tone knob... V60LP's and DSV... Suhrs rule...

Just in case the image doesn't show up, here's the link...

"Youtube is the work of Satan" ~ Guthrie Govan
Hank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Dookie that is a kiler classic. Due to budget I'm heading toward ash body. I've started putting in my order and here's what I came up with:

Classic body shape
Swamp Ash body(not one piece but something that has a nice book match making a 'V' shape off of the bridge toward the end of the guitar)
Maple neck
Even taper C medium neck
Nut width 1.687"
9" to "12 compound radius
Sperzel Standard tuners
Neck V60LP
Mid V60LP
Neck SSV
Volume, Tone, Blend(bridge)
Chrome
Hardtail
White Pearl Pickgaurd
Color is something like this:
Transparent colors is a sunburst pattern starting in the center of the body with Bahama Blue until about two inches from the edge of the guitar where it fades into an Emerald Green then at the edge whatever the back color is and the could be a very dark green or black depending on what John thinks is best.

If the SSV is to different from the V60LP's I'll probably go with the DSV. I have never used a tremelo bar so I'm sticking to to a hardtail.
Andersonguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt5150 wrote:
Hank-

You couldn't have picked a better builder. I have owned them all and no one does a better guitar than John Suhr.

I agree with your assessment for your tonal requirements. A Basswood/Maple combo would be killer for what you need.

Shocked Hey, I played that guitar. Me likes! Great tone! Trade you for a Bogner Cube... Wink

Richard
Matt5150

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG-

OK. But let me throw in some $$$ to make you feel better! Laughing

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: