Suhr :: View topic - My 'flaming' Reb Model!

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

My 'flaming' Reb Model!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_sefton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: My 'flaming' Reb Model! Reply with quote

davyped

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, your guitar already made the homepage!!! Do you have to rub it in? Razz Wink That is some beautiful flame.

Dave
Wallsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMmmmm Koa Bitty!! Koa Just rules!! And so does a Floyd!!

I have been on 'The Search' for the worlds nicest Koa guitar!! When I get some web space I'll post a pic of my Acoustic too!
Guitar James

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one hell of a piece of Koa! Love the way the wood swirls aroud the floyd.
MikeE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guitar drives me nuts. To make it worse that crazy Twisted Evil Suhr guy decided to put it on his website and on the forum. I can't get away from it Very Happy

Maybe the wife will cancel our vacation this year so I can have John make me one of those. I'll ask her tonight; if you don't see me post for a few weeks you may want to call the authorities Laughing
matt_sefton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys Smile But really you have to blame Pete Lacis for selling the beauty, which is how it wound up with me (after a frantic last 15 minutes on ebay when the guitar jumped about 500 pounds!). We didn't have any Suhr dealers in the UK when I bought it so e-bay was my only option - never again! Also, I had no idea that John was going to put it on the homepage. I categorically lay the blame at everyone else's door but mine Smile

That said, the Koa is the most stunning piece I've seen. The way it changes with the light is incredible - far more pronounced than, say, a quilted maple. Also, the Pau Ferro neck has the most beautiful almost black grain stripe running down the back of the neck.

Here's a couple of pics of some of my other machines - the latest is a custom made Voyager body by a Welsh luthier called Trevor Usher - very good builder. I bought a cheap Voyager, threw away the hideously built body and got Trevor to fashion me a new one with the thickest piece of quilted maple he could find to cure the balance problem of those models (it worked!). Also I had a boring white Jackson that I had airbrushed into the Nemo guitar - some light relief from all the beautiful pieces of natural wood on this forum!

SYD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I think you should thank my wife, for not checking her Emails after the sale on eBay, for the Suhr Reb Beach. If ya know what i mean Laughing
matt_sefton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Syd - I think I'm reading you loud and clear! It's amazing, but my wife seems to think that the Suhr just cost a few hundred quid. Funny that... don't know how she got that impression Smile
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful guitar, Matt. I've been eyeing another beautiful one on ebay: link. At first I thought it was Pete's, but then I noticed the H/H p/u configuration and realized it wasn't his.

If I only had a couple of thousand bucks to spare. At the time of this post it's bidding at $1450. Does anyone care to venture a guess at how much it will go for? I'm guessing around $3k.

Beautiful guitar, to be sure. Beyond me why anyone would sell such a thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eddyrox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, DAMN sweeeeeet 2555 and beautiful Reb Beach!!! GAWWWD - beautiful! Shocked Wink
matt_sefton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That e-bay Suhr looks really nice - and probably the best description I've ever seen on evil-bay. Looks like it's a very genuine seller. To give you some idea, my Suhr RB ended at 1,470 UK pounds, which at todays exchange rate is 2,767 dollars or so - I thought that was a pretty fair price as the guitar was pretty much in new condition bar a tiny bit of buckle rash on the back (to be honest, I would have paid more for that top!). This was about a year ago.

In my experience, there tends to be a few people watching auctions like this who never bid until 15 minutes before the end of the auction when it starts to get VERY frantic! Mine jumped 500 pounds in 15 minutes. I think your estimate of 3 grand is about right - all depends if there's someone who HAS to have the guitar, no matter what. I did contact the seller privately who told me I could buy it for 1600 pounds and he'd take it off auction, but I decided to bid it out and ended up paying less.

Eddy - thanks - the 2555 Jubilee head was my 21st birthday present from my wife and was bought brand new off the rack in 1987. I still have all the original tags, etc and even a personal letter from Jim Marshall thanking me for buying the amp (I think they did that when people sent back the warranty card). It was 360 UK pounds new! I've since been offered A LOT of money for it but apart from it sounding incredible, I'd never sell it because of its sentimental value.

I also have a JCM800 Zakk Wylde Signature model that'll take your head off, also in mint condition. I'm ashamed to say that I bought this as an investment as I got it very cheap and they only made 600 worldwide.

bones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I'm also looking for a guitar with that kind of flamed koa, is it easily available at Suhr, what you think? Does it have an additoinal cost compared to the standard koa body? How much does it weigth?

Thanks, fantastic guitar!
matt_sefton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bones wrote:
Matt,

I'm also looking for a guitar with that kind of flamed koa, is it easily available at Suhr, what you think? Does it have an additoinal cost compared to the standard koa body? How much does it weigth?

Bones -
I wouldn't want to speak for John, but the bad news is that Koa is now in extremely short supply and very difficult to get hold of. I tried to get koa for the Voyager body I had built (pic above) but it was impossible. John did mention in an older thread a while ago that he was going to have to start charging "market prices" for koa. Also bear in mind that just like maple, koa goes from pretty plain straight grained pieces to monstrous flame (like mine - heh!) and I would guess you'll pay a premium for a very figured piece. As far as the weight goes, my Reb model is chambered, so that makes a difference, but also the koa top is only about 6mm thick, backed with mahogany. The weight is perfect to me - it's not a heavy guitar by any means, but not light either - sort of regular Strat weight - very comfortable. Hope that helps!

Matt
SYD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, you got a good price, my wife stopped at £1400, because the winner, look like a ringer. Laughing
bones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAtt,

many thanks for the very useful info. I guess I will have to look for something else then, unless I get really lucky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Owner's Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: