Suhr :: View topic - Classic T: Swamp Ash or Alder body?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Classic T: Swamp Ash or Alder body?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timpie_gitaar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Classic T: Swamp Ash or Alder body? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm a newbie on the forum so go easy on me, okay? Cool

I am currently working on the specs of my second Suhr guitar, which is to be a Classic T. But I'm a bit in doubt about the body wood. Most of the guitars I play have a body made of alder, and I like the tone. But it might be time for a change, so I can't really decide what body wood to choose for my Classic T.

I already mailed the company and mr. Yoon replied saying that an swamp ash body with a maple neck will give more high mids, and a tighter, more punchy sound. This leaves a couple of questions... How about the "warm" T-type tones? Are they still there? Any T-players out there with suggestions? Maybe someone who can compare both models?

Thanks in advance!
Tim
dead of night

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Classic T's: an alder and an ash. Keep in mind there is a well-respected contingent of guitarists which believes alder, ash, and basswood are virtually indisinguishable on an electric guitar. It is the pickups and the amp you are hearing.

Having said that, I feel with my alder T, the tone sinks into the wood, becomes absorbed, providing a slower, warmer tone.

On the ash T, the tone seems to stay on top of the wood, providing a harder, punchier but still sweet tone.

At the end of the day, I feel it is the shape of the guitar, the pickups, the fingerboard wood, and the bridge that makes most of the difference.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dead of night wrote:
At the end of the day, I feel it is the shape of the guitar, the pickups, the fingerboard wood, and the bridge that makes most of the difference.

and what fingerboards are your teles? are they otherwise identical?

dead of night

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
dead of night wrote:

and what fingerboards are your teles? are they otherwise identical?

No, I went with the classic combos of ash/maple and alder/rosewood.
timpie_gitaar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the same combo's I was aiming for.

Thanks for the info! I'm still not sure what to order, I'll have to think over again... Maybe I'll have to get two as well. Cool

One quick question: if you go out and play a show, which T do you reach for most of the time? Or does it make a difference what type of music you have to play?
greenfingers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timpie_gitaar wrote:
Those are the same combo's I was aiming for.

Thanks for the info! I'm still not sure what to order, I'll have to think over again... Maybe I'll have to get two as well. Cool

One quick question: if you go out and play a show, which T do you reach for most of the time? Or does it make a difference what type of music you have to play?

Personally it i were playing a show i would choose a S Type Very Happy But it seams you want the best of both worlds?, If you want the classic spank, snap and honk that T's are famous for go with the Maple/Swamp Ash combo, If you want less highs and more midds go with Alder/Rosewood, I think the only way you will be happy is if you get both Wink... Go on..you know you want too.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
timpie_gitaar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I know I do!

It's not really wanting the best of both worlds. I already have a Suhr Classic S-type guitar, which I love dearly. My "oldest" working guitar is a Chris Larkin Custom guitar, which is remarkably close to the Reb-model (and I ordered this guitar years before even hearing about Suhr guitars). I always wondered what a John Suhr/Chris Larkin conversation would sound like. I know Chris personally, and he's a very nice person, but has very strong (and sometimes quite unusual) thoughts about building guitars.

I am actually looking for a very classic (and classy) sounding T. The should be the most T-sounding guitar possible, without compromise. So no "best of both worlds" but "T all the way"!
apeshape

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is the body shape that produces the most distinct tone of the guitar you're playing. Especially a T type.
greenfingers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timpie_gitaar wrote:
I am actually looking for a very classic (and classy) sounding T. The should be the most T-sounding guitar possible, without compromise. So no "best of both worlds" but "T all the way"!

Then it has to be "swamp ash/maple" all the way for my money, well your money Very Happy but you know what i mean.

With reguards to what things contribute to the Tele sound, all things count, but from my experience the pickup mount is a big part of the T's sound.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: