Suhr :: View topic - Looking for a new amp. Any suggestions

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Looking for a new amp. Any suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarchris76

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Looking for a new amp. Any suggestions Reply with quote

I currently have a Mesa 5:50 that I am not really unhappy with. I am just not really inspired by it. I am thinking about getting something else and wanted some suggestions. I want something that can cover a lot of ground. I play everything from jazz to instrumental stuff like Vai and Satriani.
guitarchris76

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is really not an issue but I agree that if I was going to shell out 4k or so, I would rather get another Suhr guitar and a 1500 amp.
lewkay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to be a bit more specific about the sounds you want Cool
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, since this is a suhr forum, i'd suggest a badger. i've only played the 18 watter, and though the 30 watter is a different puppy, i can't believe it wouldn't suit your needs considering your musical styles while staying in the portability and convenience range of the 5:50. badger is one channel though.

personally i play an egnater mod50, and it does it all. it's the best compromise while not being a compromise when it comes to portability, power and versatility. tone wise, there are no compromises at all, just endless possibilities ... i really want a badger 18 though, and a classic+ ...

Whomad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i unfortunately have never been able to find a badger to play through, but if its better than the JSX mini the badger would be, undescribable.

ive got both the jsx 212 combo, and the mini. got the mini for $350 new, and i must say that the thing is just amazing, especially for practicing at low volumes, especially if youre looking for a more vintage sound. plug into a 4x12 or other cab if youre playing a gig. those are my amps and ive never been wanting anything else. the 212 (or head and cab if you wish) has one of the best clean channels in my opinion, it will never break up, and if youre playing something with a dist/od pedal, you can run it straight through and it sounds great.

ill sound like a million other people but, the peavey stuff with satch's name on it really is good and worth having his name.
simon_UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant believe you think the express amps arent versatile!?!?! Horses for courses........
cbguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What style of music?
Channel switching a must (or desireable)?
Wattage requirements (if any)?
Weight? (If you have a bad back like I do)
Reverb?
Tremelo?
Other effects?
Players you admire the sound of?
Answers to those questions "might" help determine what amp names appear.
Adji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, check out Cornfords, Im sure youve heard of them, they miht be hard to ifnd in the US though. Also if you can come across any check out Brunetti (particularly the XL amp) theyre boutique amps from Italy, fantastic tone. Rob Balducci is playing through them currently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: