Suhr :: View topic - Pickup frames?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Pickup frames?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amber shimmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Pickup frames? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have some questions regarding pickup frames. I also posted a thread with these questions on another forum, but I thought I'd ask you guys as well. Smile Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/pickup-frames-84486.html

Thanks,
Amber shimmer (aka Myst and rain)
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/

Look under "pickup parts" and then "baseplates" you'll find what you want there.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Amber shimmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a fast reply! Surprised Thanks. Smile

That's an interesting link on which I saw that one baseplate differs from another, in terms of the holes drilled in it. So that's interesting. But it's clear, I think, that you can easily place a Seymour Duncan, for instance, on a DiMarzio baseplate. Which answered my second question. Smile

I'm still wondering about one being able to order seperate DiMarzio baseplates, though. But someone on Jemsite who's a DiMarzio dealer is going to look into it for me. I'll let you know what DiMarzio told him. Smile

Thanks again! Smile
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amber shimmer wrote:
I'm still wondering about one being able to order seperate DiMarzio baseplates, though. But someone on Jemsite who's a DiMarzio dealer is going to look into it for me. I'll let you know what DiMarzio told him. Smile

DiMarzio probably get there baseplates from a parts supplier like the one in the link. If you are going to change baseplates there will be a little soldering involved to reatach the ground wire to the baseplate. Just thought id give you a heads up.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Amber shimmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amber shimmer wrote:
DiMarzio probably get there baseplates from a parts supplier like the one in the link. If you are going to change baseplates there will be a little soldering involved to reatach the ground wire to the baseplate. Just thought id give you a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up but the reason I'm asking this is because I'm getting a guitar built. So the luthier is going to do the only soldering. Smile

Anyway, the luthier in question has contacted DiMarzio and they said to him that they didn't sell their components seperately. So I'm more or less stuck with Seymour Duncan's look. On this guitar I'm going to have Seymour Duncan humbuckers installed, you see? Direct mounted. So that will look different than direct mounted DiMarzios but the look has grown on me.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to the question I asked in post #5 of this thread on jemsite.com?

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/pickup-frames-84486.html

I'm very curious about it. Smile
greenfingers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feet on my Suhr's pickups are like the DiMarzio's. I don't know if Suhr do square feet on there base plates ? Also DiMarzio use brass base plates on there pickups which may change the sound by taking a bit of high end off.

Why not get your Luthier to cut the feet to the right shape? "Job Done" Very Happy

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Amber shimmer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenfingers wrote:
The feet on my Suhr's pickups are like the DiMarzio's.

That's interesting. Maybe Suhr gets their baseplates from the same supplier as DiMarzio. I could ask Ed or John. Maybe they'll let me know where they get them from so I can order a pair for myself. Smile

greenfingers wrote:
I don't know if Suhr do square feet on there base plates ?

Well, judging by these photos I've seen on the internet the Suhr pickups that you buy seperately have them, at least?

greenfingers wrote:
Why not get your Luthier to cut the feet to the right shape? "Job Done" Very Happy

Yeah, that's what he suggested as well... I dunno. I mean, wouldn't that result in jagged edges? It would be precision work, that's for sure. Maybe I can make it easy on him and get the plates with the preferred shape if I can. Smile

But I might go for the Seymour Duncan look in the end, as well. I'm not 100% sure which one I really want yet, since the Seymour Duncan look has started to grow on me. Smile
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amber shimmer wrote:

greenfingers wrote:

Yeah, that's what he suggested as well... I dunno. I mean, wouldn't that result in jagged edges? It would be precision work, that's for sure. Maybe I can make it easy on him and get the plates with the preferred shape if I can. Smile

If he can make a guitar from scratch i would assume it would be in his capabilities to adjust the feet. NO ? If you can find them cool. but if you cant, don't settle for something you don't want. Your the one paying for it after all, Adjusting the feet would probly one of the least taxing parts of the guitar build. Nothing a file couldn't sort out.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Amber shimmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you're right. I'm still not sure which foot shape I'll go for, though. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: