Suhr :: View topic - Which 12 guage standard tuning strings with low tension?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Which 12 guage standard tuning strings with low tension?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulkit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Which 12 guage standard tuning strings with low tension? Reply with quote

I want to try 12 guage strings but prefer a brand that has low tension.
What brand would that be?

Thanks.
CudBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tension is a function of the gauge and tuning. Not the brand.
makka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CudBucket wrote:
Tension is a function of the gauge and tuning. Not the brand.

Note entirely true. It's a function of gauge, tuning AND material. Different brands can use slightly different density or alloy mixes even when the material is called the same general name. Add in different materials to the mix and the tensions can vary considerably for the same gauge. e.g. Stainless Steel vs Nickel wound.

The only way to tell is to go to the website for each string brand and see if they provide some tension charts for their strings. e.g. D'Addario's can be found here http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf although the listings for stainless steel are out of date as they refer to their older XLS brand stainless steel. Their newer ProSteels have slightly less tension for the same gauge.

I run with D'Addario EXL nickel wounds on my Suhr and they feel slightly higher in tension to the D'Addario ProSteels I have on my Ibanez. Fortunately I'm not paranoid and this difference can be seen in the tension lists for the individual string sets on their website Wink
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR's have lower tension. don't like them. higher tension yields better tone to me. a string optimal performance is when it's tension is about 90-95% of its capability (before it snaps). that's why i feel the mere idea of creating a string with lower tension is fundamentally a bad idea. this is also why the unwound g-string creates so many problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: