Suhr :: View topic - Rasmus Guitars by Suhr

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Rasmus Guitars by Suhr
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Brooks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One mans "sell out" is another man's expansion into new markets.

I think Rasmus is about providing an opportunity for a different demographic than the custom Standard and Modern or Pro series customer to enter the Suhr family of instruments. I don't think it devalues the premium product lines, but I do feel that it affords the opportunity to many to move their way upstream into upper tier Suhr product, or simply stay with their Rasmus purchase instead of buying a similarly priced production line guitar with far less QC and know-how.

There are many kids, 20-30 something hobbyists, and lower tier gigging musos out there now dreaming about Suhr guitars that they just can't afford. They know the models, the sounds, the players using them but they're sold on a product they can't buy just yet, so they go without, or buy another brand. Now they get an opportunity to buy into a brand like this on perhaps their second guitar purchase, much they way a Fender guy eases in with a Mex or Highway One before buying a Am Dlx. They get to be a part of the Suhr family of players and I'm betting they will take a LOT of pride in that. I think the separate branding goes further to protect the elite status of genuine top-end Suhr in a way that Fender Mexico (for example) does not. At some point the "by Suhr" mightn't even be necessary. And the fact that the line is going to be sold by trusted Suhr dealers blows away any comparison to this being like the Gibson Hendrix debacle.

I guess the sell-out tag is going to come from some Suhr owners who've spent good money on the best guitars out there, but I'm also thinking there's bound to be a ton of guys rubbing their hands together today because they can now get in on the ground floor of owning their own Suhr-designed instrument.
Munkipuss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Brooks wrote:
One mans "sell out" is another man's expansion into new markets.

I think Rasmus is about providing an opportunity for a different demographic than the custom Standard and Modern or Pro series customer to enter the Suhr family of instruments. I don't think it devalues the premium product lines, but I do feel that it affords the opportunity to many to move their way upstream into upper tier Suhr product, or simply stay with their Rasmus purchase instead of buying a similarly priced production line guitar with far less QC and know-how.

There are many kids, 20-30 something hobbyists, and lower tier gigging musos out there now dreaming about Suhr guitars that they just can't afford. They know the models, the sounds, the players using them but they're sold on a product they can't buy just yet, so they go without, or buy another brand. Now they get an opportunity to buy into a brand like this on perhaps their second guitar purchase, much they way a Fender guy eases in with a Mex or Highway One before buying a Am Dlx. They get to be a part of the Suhr family of players and I'm betting they will take a LOT of pride in that. I think the separate branding goes further to protect the elite status of genuine top-end Suhr in a way that Fender Mexico (for example) does not. At some point the "by Suhr" mightn't even be necessary. And the fact that the line is going to be sold bu trusted Suhr dealers blows away any comparison to this being like the Gibson Hendrix debacle.

These are all very sensible points.

I personally like the Rasmus logo.
Kzin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm... Reply with quote

Retu wrote:
Well, not sure about this. The name reminds me about this very cordial comic book "Rasmus Klump" which I used to read a lot when I was a kid. Rasmus was a kindhearted and polite bear who liked pancakes.

Ha! I also read Rasmus, although he was called "Rasmus Nalle" over here. "Nalle" is swedish for teddy bear, kinda. Didnt he and his gang travel alot on a ship?
shv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welcome the Rasmus brand, and hope this set new standards at that price range.

However, it's imperative to keep the brands separated. There is always a risk that these lower price range guitars could weaken the exclusivity of the Suhr brand. I would not put the Suhr logo on back of the headstock as shown on the Rasmus website.

Also, if every Rasmus guitar has to go through the USA factory for some of the work it will take up a lot of the capacity at this site, and thus reduce production capacity for "real Suhrs". But maybe this factory has overcapacity today?

Also, in this way, the production numbers will be very limited, and the possibility to "reach the masses" cannot be achieved. Then it would be better to invest in the asian factory both regarding to production equipment and workers competence to complete the instruments there. This would also save a lot of shipping costs, and is also a valid argument in these times with a lot of focus on the climate challenge.

But I'm sure you guys at Suhr have thought this through, and are way ahead of the opinions on this board. Smile But som comments regarding these matters would be appreciated! Smile
CudBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 string available soon I hope!
CudBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm... Reply with quote

Retu wrote:
Well, not sure about this. The name reminds me about this very cordial comic book "Rasmus Klump" which I used to read a lot when I was a kid. Rasmus was a kindhearted and polite bear who liked pancakes.

And a "Fender" is a car part. Who cares? I'll form an opinion after I've played one.

Good luck with this guys. I think the product line looks great. Excellent idea doing at least one 24 fretter without a Floyd.

Dave
MATTV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am excited!... think about what other brands you can buy at this price point... alot of crap out there...this thing is plek'd, and held to high standards... this has to be the smartest move for Suhr... a great idea! I have always wanted a Suhr guitar, and although this is not a Suhr guitar, it will definatly cure the itch for awhile until i'm in a position to buy one..... from the looks, people are going to shit when they play one... the only hard thing to do is market a new brand... there are so many crappy companys out there that sell the shit outta guitars because of the name... hopefully word picks up on these babys!

BTW The gig bag is frickin sweet!

Matt
Retu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm... Reply with quote

CudBucket wrote:
Retu wrote:

And a "Fender" is a car part. Who cares? I'll form an opinion after I've played one.

Dave

I think you would care...

http://www.cuntz-guitars.de/en/instrumente.php Shocked
jhumber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shv wrote:

Also, if every Rasmus guitar has to go through the USA factory for some of the work it will take up a lot of the capacity at this site, and thus reduce production capacity for "real Suhrs". But maybe this factory has overcapacity today?

A great point.

Can anyone from Suhr comment on the expected (if any) change in production times for custom orders as a result of doing extra in-house work on the Rasmus range?

Thanks
Jordan
izzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the power and success to Mr. Suhr and crew. In this international economy it makes sense that there would be a lower price point alternative for those that don't require the boo-teeky elite models (yet). As long as JS's standards are met and it helps keep the company solvent what's not to like -- it's got my blessing.

Kinda made me go "wut" when I first saw the name -- my wife originates from Denmark and shares the same suhr-name; lulz. Anyway, go Rasmus go.
shv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue is that these Rasmus guitars could "steal" customers from the pro series, as they are about half the price.

I for sure would consider buying a Rasmus for $999 instead of a pro for approx. $2000.

Maybe the plan is to stop producing the pro models? Maybe Pro guitars are TO close to the custom guitars, with regards to both price and quality, and that there now will be a more clear distinction between the custom guitars and the standardised ones? Just thinking loud here! Smile
JediHalen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shv wrote:
Maybe the plan is to stop producing the pro models? Maybe Pro guitars are TO close to the custom guitars, with regards to both price and quality, and that there now will be a more clear distinction between the custom guitars and the standardised ones? Just thinking loud here! Smile

God.. I hope not, I love the pro models... would hate to see them go.

Very interesting point though.

BTW- These Rasmus guitars look pretty sweet, they should be a good alternative to the Charvel production run models that are doing so well at the moment.
starswimmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a great idea to get younger players a quality instrument in their hands earlier than they normally would. Suhr is still doing the stop up at their shop, which is a pretty big deal. Kudo's to John and company for continuing to grow and challenge the system. I love it!
CudBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shv wrote:
Another issue is that these Rasmus guitars could "steal" customers from the pro series, as they are about half the price.

I doubt it. They're different price points with different target groups. The player with only $1000 to spend wasn't going to buy a Pro anyway. Now, he could consider a Rasmus.
dumbell78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, much like Ernie Ball and its Sterling line of guitars. I think its working well for EB and should work fine for Suhr. I just hope it doesnt take away too much time and man power from the Suhr line of guitars that are being built.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: