Suhr :: View topic - Rasmus Guitars by Suhr

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Rasmus Guitars by Suhr
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarchris76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really glad Ed and John chimed in. I think the only thing to do is to plunk the $$ down on one and spend some time with it. So I will be orderng one within the next month. I need a good kick around guitar I can play with my 2 year old around so maybe this will be it.
tkharris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarchris76 wrote:
I am really glad Ed and John chimed in. I think the only thing to do is to plunk the $$ down on one and spend some time with it.

Not me I am just going to get me a Suhr 7 String....
aron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> While they are not built to the level of a $2000+ suhr that i normally play, they do play FAR BETTER than anything else in that $1000 and below price point.

This part I don't understand. Only the finish of the guitars is different right? The same woods and probably CNC is different (at least I thought). Maybe a little less in the quality of wood dept, but I would expect these to play similar to a Suhr - it's assembled and plek'd and uses.... or maybe it doesn't... the same electronics/pickups/etc..... hardware????

Maybe there should be clarification on exactly what is different??? What kind of pickups, hardware.... I mean how does this line differ from my Pro Series??? What did I get, that they won't get????
SV777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that sits wrong with me is this.......what is fundamentally wrong with our country that we cant produce a product like the Rasmus line of guitars with that pricepoint without outsourcing???

Whatever it is that is causing business and jobs to leave our shores ...if it isnt stopped or fixed ....just may lead to our own downfall eventually.....maybe it already has.

That being said ..I salute Suhr guitars for their continued success and growth as a business.....but shame on our country for creating a business climate that fosters more / more outsourcing.

Lets hope they dont use Cadmium in the finish....( that was a joke...poor taste ...sorry.)
Suhr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow Lee wrote:
Suhr-tainly wrote:
Van Hellion wrote:
. Now, everyone feel free to tell me how stupid they think i am Very Happy

A Wood

Andy, you are not stupid at all. I think that way too many people are getting their panties in a twist over this. If the guitars play and sound great, than what does it matter where or how they are produced? At that price point, there is absolutely no reason to complain.

Yeah well, better not question anything in life...it might just make things complicated and ruin your day. Buy your burger for under $1 produced in burned down amazon rainforest with genetically modded soya, buy your hip Nikes produced by enslaved 6 year olds in Indian sweatshops for 50c a day, get your american way of life enhancing toys made in countries where people are imprisoned for free speech and treated like disposable subhuman workrobots...as long as the price is right, there's absolutely no reason to complain, right?
One of these days, that stuff will get back to you, one way or another. Then you'll know about the real price you paid.
Sorry to get "get my pants in a twist" here but your kind of statement is just really totally off the scale of common sense. At least you could try and discuss or refute the critical points being made here, but not just ignore the facts and party on.

You need to be educated about the people running THIS factory and the happy people who work there, how they are taken care of and how nice the factory is. We are dealing with people here. To cut off a nation because of a government only harms the people and makes their conditions worse. I have to hire a few more people with this line and I have not fired 1 person since the USA recession for lack of work, in fact I have more employees now than a year ago. This is not slave labor, this is a Taylor style state of the art facility.

As far as the inability to manufacture guitars at the cost here you can lump those problems in to many issues that need to be corrected in this country including the cost of an education and the amount of money it costs to become a doctor.

If you want nothing in your house because of it's origin if if from an ethical quality factory that happens to be in China well then you can though all you furniture out, don't buy any meats from Costco, throw that Iphone in the garbage and trash your computer as well as all the recording gear.

Last edited by Suhr on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Suhr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kzin wrote:
Ed Yoon wrote:
As of now, the Gotoh 510 on the Rasmus has a zinc block as the steel block adds significant cost. That may be subject to change upon further evaluation.

Is it possible to change the block yourself without changing the entire bridge?

Yes you can get it from Allparts
shv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main worries was how the Rasmus would compare to the Pros, but it seems they are not in direct competition. It remains to be clarified exactly what the difference in quality is though.

Regarding the production in China I don't see the problem if everything is as described. This should contribute to improve chinese salary and other issues. There will always be outsourcing due to production costs, so it's important that the western countries sets strict requirements to QC and human resources to gradually improve conditions there.
aron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> It remains to be clarified exactly what the difference in quality is though.

Yeah I wonder about this. It's like an experiment....
So they pick similar weight woods, maybe not the same source, but weight. I would assume (perhaps wrongly), the CNC machines are programmed the same. The workers finish/paint the guitars to Suhr specs.

It's sent to the US where Suhr assemblers put them together, cut the nut, plek etc.... It's not clear to me if these USA workers are the same guys that worked on our guitars.

Now we cannot assume the pickups are standard Suhr pickups... Maybe they are wound differently or????

It's a hell of a test though. Maybe lower grade tuners, different wound pickups, different plant painting it and final shaping. It will be interesting to see how it plays and sounds compared to the Suhr guitar line.

It would be something to see someone upgrade the components to Suhr guitar specs and see what if any the difference is.
Xochitl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your answer on materials and hardware from http://www.rasmusguitars.com/:

Quote:
So with this in mind, we decided to offer
- genuine USA–made Suhr pickups, Japanese–made Gotoh bridges
- and the same German-made fret wires that we use on our Suhr instruments.
- The woods are of the highest quality imported from North America (Alder and Maple) and Indonesia (Rosewood) and meet our strict weight guidelines.

aron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I saw that but what does that mean?
USA made Suhr pickups? Which ones? FL, V60LP????
Highest quality wood? Does that mean this is the same type used for the Surh line?

I guess we won't know until someone really takes a good look at one.
In other words, what compromises other than location, final shaping/finishing is made?
atquinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kzin wrote:
Ed Yoon wrote:
As of now, the Gotoh 510 on the Rasmus has a zinc block as the steel block adds significant cost. That may be subject to change upon further evaluation.

Is it possible to change the block yourself without changing the entire bridge?

I have a Melancon that came with a 510 with a zinc block I had no problem swapping it for a steel one. However, since the Steel block is a tad bit higher, I can't put the control cover back on. I'm not sure I hear much of a difference anyway, so I'll probably put the zinc block back on next time I change strings. This would be an issue on Suhrs since they don't rout the body so the trem cover is flush with the back (which I generally find incredibly annoying, but now see the value of! Very Happy)
-
Austin
Xochitl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Thanks! I saw that but what does that mean?
USA made Suhr pickups? Which ones? FL, V60LP????
Highest quality wood? Does that mean this is the same type used for the Surh line?

I guess we won't know until someone really takes a good look at one.
In other words, what compromises other than location, final shaping/finishing is made?

You're welcome. Smile
For more detailed hardware specs, you can find them in the pricelist. For pick-ups, you'll have SSH+ HB in bridge, SSV HB in neck and FL single-coil (middle and neck) "made in the Suhr Factory in Lake Elsinore, California".

For the rest, as the vast majority here, I can't really answer.
aron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I would expect it to sound really close. I mean at this point, the only difference might be a steel block, different tuners and different factory finish. The rest is negligible I would think.
Paul Warren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV777 wrote:
The only thing that sits wrong with me is this.......what is fundamentally wrong with our country that we cant produce a product like the Rasmus line of guitars with that pricepoint without outsourcing???

Whatever it is that is causing business and jobs to leave our shores ...if it isnt stopped or fixed ....just may lead to our own downfall eventually.....maybe it already has.

I can give it to you in one word - GOVERNMENT. Politicians who have never run a business themselves pick on companies because they are "faceless" and easier to blame for making a profit, as if a business has any other reason for existing except making a profit. I've worked in government and I've worked in the private sector and the two have absolutely nothing in common. We couldn't fire the people in government. We simply moved them to other departments if they were incompetent or not needed. In the private sector, we're not able to take money from people through passing legislation. We actually have to be responsible, put out a quality product, and then let people decide whether or not to give us their hard earned money.

Honestly, it's almost as if government doesn't want my business to succeed at all, even though they reap taxes which come from its success. My income is taxed. All my guitars are taxed. The chairs in my lobby are taxed. Our computers. Our printers. Our desks. All of my stuff is taxed annually with property taxes. Then I have to pay unemployment taxes, both state and federal. And of course I have to match all of the withholding taxes which are huge. There was a tax on my sign on my building. I pay an annual tax called a "privilege license" which is based on our revenue and I'm not allowed to operate without it. I pay annual inspection fees to the county for fire inspection. I pay a large annual fee to the Secretary of State in order to remain a LLC. These are all things about which I have no real choice, but now have to be built into our prices. And now, even though our business income is ALREADY taxed, our state is considering a service tax on businesses like mine which provide services instead of selling actual products. Yeah, double taxation is really going to help us all who are already operating on extremely thin profit margins.

I fully accept all of the normal high overhead costs (rent, power, insurances, employees etc.) which I have. It costs a lot to run a business. That's fine. And I accept the fact that government has to have revenue to operate. But it's simply become oppressive and the more government mandates to businesses, the more we are going to see operations move overseas in order to survive. I know I'm watching to see what happens with some of these proposals about new taxes and mandates because some of them will cause me to shut down in a heartbeat and that puts all of my people out of a job.

Sorry as I don't mean to be dark about it, but I'm just being realistic. Smile

paul
Trev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great move. I can't see why existing Suhr owners are knocking it so much?

It brings the legendary Suhr expertise in guitar building to a much wider market - not all of us have the luxury of dropping 2.5K on a guitar...

I wish them every success and congratulate Ed on his business acumen and guitar market knowledge.

Good luck guys! I can see me picking up a Rasmus Modern soon!

Trev

Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: