Suhr :: View topic - 510T TREMOLO HEIGHT?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

510T TREMOLO HEIGHT?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flarocks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: 510T TREMOLO HEIGHT? Reply with quote

Hi, I just got my new S1 and love it, but to lower the action I lowered the 2 bridge post rather than lowering the saddles. I did this because I don't need to pull up and the float doesn't matter to me. I also wanted to keep the allen screw in the saddles from peeking up beyond the top of the saddle. Now I pnly have about 3/64 of space between the body and baseplate. What should that spec be..?
Suhr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 510T TREMOLO HEIGHT? Reply with quote

flarocks wrote:
Hi, I just got my new S1 and love it, but to lower the action I lowered the 2 bridge post rather than lowering the saddles. I did this because I don't need to pull up and the float doesn't matter to me. I also wanted to keep the allen screw in the saddles from peeking up beyond the top of the saddle. Now I pnly have about 3/64 of space between the body and baseplate. What should that spec be..?

Should be around 1/16 ~ 1/8 as low as you want really as long as it doesn't hit the body when you dunk it at the front edge.
No right or wrong but the guitar strings will feel easier to bend if the plate is lower and the saddles are higher
danilorocha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to lower the bridge (Gotoh 510) on my Standard but, specially on the lower strings side, it seems like it's not possible to do it any more, though there's still some space between the body and the baseplate and also the post is far from being fully inside the body. Is there any kind of lock inside the posts, like we see in some Floyd bridges?

Thanks!
BRUNO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danilorocha wrote:
I am trying to lower the bridge (Gotoh 510) on my Standard but, specially on the lower strings side, it seems like it's not possible to do it any more, though there's still some space between the body and the baseplate and also the post is far from being fully inside the body. Is there any kind of lock inside the posts, like we see in some Floyd bridges?

Thanks!

Yep... like this :

danilorocha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the reply! The picture makes it easier to understand.

What was happening was that the bridge post was too tight and wasn't letting the internal set screw move.
Now everything is set!
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only a internal screw in one of my post's, is that the same for everyone else or was i unlucky.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i took off the bridge and removed the post and there was no internal screw, i guessed from looking at the internal threads and the fact the allen key is the same one used for adjusting saddle height that a saddle height screw may work, and it does, after setting the guitar back up i noticed an improvement in tone from the E&B string, and less effort needed when tapping as well on those strings as well. Don't know if it's a result of the screw of if i set the guitar up better but I'm glad i found this thread.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
bluefugue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one of my Gotoh 510 bridge posts has an internal screw as well. One question I have is how to make sure the bridge post height is the same across the body. Do you just use a millimeter ruler to measure on both sides? Is this also the way one measures the saddles to make sure the height is the same on both sides of the string? Why does each saddle have two screws anyway? Also, since the guitar has a compound radius, do you set the bridge saddles to 10" radius or 14" radius?
Keeley Phaser, Fulltone GT-500
MXR MC404 CAE Cry Baby Dual Inductor Wah
MXR ZW-38 Black Label Chorus, Voodoo Labs Trem
Bearfoot Fx Honey Bee Overdrive
bluefugue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Keeley Phaser, Fulltone GT-500
MXR MC404 CAE Cry Baby Dual Inductor Wah
MXR ZW-38 Black Label Chorus, Voodoo Labs Trem
Bearfoot Fx Honey Bee Overdrive
lreese

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 510 came back from Suhr set for about a step up on the G string. The posts were high enough so that the plate sits flat.

This is just me blathering but looks like there can be 2 extremes of thought on bridge height:

1. Flat on the body to increase contact area of the plate with the body. Downside is no up range but possibly increased tuning stability.

2. Raised as high as possible to decrease break angle over the saddles.

My 510 2 post is set up between the 2 extremes. I'm not tempted to touch my setup right now.

With the compound radius, would you not be better off setting the saddles to 16" or 20" as the board is conical? That is if its 10 to 14 radius.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: