Suhr :: View topic - Gotoh 510 setup

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Gotoh 510 setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Gotoh 510 setup Reply with quote

Hello Suhr forum, just registered here.

Proud owner of 2, soon to be 3 wicked Suhrs. I have a question regarding the setup on the Gotoh 510 2 post trem, same one that comes on the Guthrie model. What is the recommended setting as far as the angle of the bridge goes? I have historically done knife edge perpendicular to the posts. Is there a wrong way with this? I have one setup now that allows a bit more pull up on the trem.. seems pretty solid but doesn't return to zero exactly.

Thanks,
Dave
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotoh 510 setup Reply with quote

DaveZ wrote:
Hello Suhr forum, just registered here.

Proud owner of 2, soon to be 3 wicked Suhrs. I have a question regarding the setup on the Gotoh 510 2 post trem, same one that comes on the Guthrie model. What is the recommended setting as far as the angle of the bridge goes? I have historically done knife edge perpendicular to the posts. Is there a wrong way with this? I have one setup now that allows a bit more pull up on the trem.. seems pretty solid but doesn't return to zero exactly.

Thanks,
Dave

Parallel plate to the body is the way it should be. It shouldn't affect the ability to return to 0 either way. Don't confuse the strings hanging up with the knife edge returning
DaveZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Dave
Random Hero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack, but it's a somewhat related question. When you have a recess, how far into the recess should the term be? Should the plate be level with they top of the body, as if it would lie on the wood if there were any? Hope that makes sense...
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Hero wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but it's a somewhat related question. When you have a recess, how far into the recess should the term be? Should the plate be level with they top of the body, as if it would lie on the wood if there were any? Hope that makes sense...

The trem stays in the same place, recess or not.
It just means that you get healthy uplift and the plate can be setup parallel to the body.
Random Hero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

The trem stays in the same place, recess or not.
It just means that you get healthy uplift and the plate can be setup parallel to the body.

Gotcha. But what if the previous owner may have moved the trem post height around? Where should it be?
hevo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suhr factory default setup is approx 1/16 above the body, whether is a recess or non-recess. That's the info I've gotten, if not requested otherwise.

- H
jcfay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: flush or 1/16"? Reply with quote

hi all - just got my FANTASTIC custom classic, but I want to confirm the correct Gotoh 510 setup. Should the front be flush or 1/16" above? The guitar sat in the shop for a couple of years, and so once home and tuned up the trem needs some adjustment (the rear is about 1/8" above the top, and the trem is clearly not parallel with the top).

Should the trem be flush?

thanks
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: flush or 1/16"? Reply with quote

jcfay wrote:
hi all - just got my FANTASTIC custom classic, but I want to confirm the correct Gotoh 510 setup. Should the front be flush or 1/16" above? The guitar sat in the shop for a couple of years, and so once home and tuned up the trem needs some adjustment (the rear is about 1/8" above the top, and the trem is clearly not parallel with the top).

Should the trem be flush?

The plate should be sat a little above the body (1/16...1/8 doesn't sound crazy) and more or less parallel to the body.
If it's pitched up a little, gradually and evenly tighten the trem claw screws (retune and check regularly) until it's where you want it.
Then set your action and check intonation Wink
jcfay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: flush or 1/16"? Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:

The plate should be sat a little above the body (1/16...1/8 doesn't sound crazy) and more or less parallel to the body.
If it's pitched up a little, gradually and evenly tighten the trem claw screws (retune and check regularly) until it's where you want it.
Then set your action and check intonation Wink

thanks. i remember adjusting my floyd rose i had when i was 17 in this manner, but the gotoh type trem is new to me. and i was surprised that when i brought it home, and retuned the guitar, that the trem rose in the rear.
it's somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8. the front appears to be flush to the surface. i noticed a wee bit of buzz in a couple spots on the fretboard, so figured i'd probably have to adjust the action a bit on a few strings. but with the trem popped up like this it's changed the equation a bit.
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, I adjusted mine last night!

I had it pitched up to allow a healthy b3 of uplift on the G string...tuning was still rock steady like this...but I realised that I never used that much uplift and that it may have been contributing to some excessive warble when I dug into the strings.

So I levelled it out as described...haven't had much chance to play it properly since.
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, I'm not 100% on your use of the word 'flush'...nothing is flush in my opinion...might be worth posting a pic if possible, to be sure.

Also, was the guitar not tuned to pitch in the store?
jcfay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
Btw, I'm not 100% on your use of the word 'flush'...nothing is flush in my opinion...might be worth posting a pic if possible, to be sure.

Also, was the guitar not tuned to pitch in the store?

i tuned it in the store, but when i released the locking tuners when i got home every string dropped a 3rd or 4th (seems bizarre to me, but i'm new to the world of locking tuners...). See the photo below. it looks like the front of the bridge is completely flush with the surface of the guitar, but there may be a small space. But the back is definitely jacked up. Thoughts? I know I'm going to have to tweak a couple of the saddles a bit to try and fix the little bit of buzz that is there, but wanted to get the trem set first, of course.

thanks again!

digitalkettle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-ha...it's a 6-screw bridge! Thought we were talking about a 2-post Wink

That looks pretty normal to me then. Maybe you could pull it a little flatter...depends how much uplift you like and how it performs.
jcfay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
A-ha...it's a 6-screw bridge! Thought we were talking about a 2-post Wink

That looks pretty normal to me then. Maybe you could pull it a little flatter...depends how much uplift you like and how it performs.

well, now i know there are like 20 different "Gotoh 510" bridges (I went to their web site). So I missed out on that critical bit of info! Sorry. I do want to be able to pull up a bit (right now I think I'm getting a half step), so perhaps I'll keep it here. Now I just need to tweak the action!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: