Suhr :: View topic - Having trouble deciding on options- any help?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Having trouble deciding on options- any help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayanus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Having trouble deciding on options- any help? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of ordering a custom standard. I want to play fusion, rock, jazz, prog etc. Pretty much the only thing I haven't dabbled in yet is country.

I need this thing to really sing but cut through the mix. I need it to have a good jazz tone so I'm thinking I should go for a neck humbucker, but I like the sound of single coils for soloing. Is there a compromise I can reach? Will a coil tap on a neck humbucker help me solve this problem?

There are many choices for woods. One of my friends has a PRS Brazillian and he says the brazillian rosewood fretboard is incredibly fast and smooth. This appeals to me but I'd rather not use an endangered wood on my guitar. Has anyone had experience with the other rosewoods, eg Indian, African or other types eg Pau Ferro?

I also felt a Suhr with a mahogany neck and it was SUPER smooth and fast. What tonal difference will this make to the guitar? I don't want this guitar to be muddy, it needs warmth but snappiness and note definition are a must.

With my requirements in mind, what woods should I choose for the body? I've heard that basswood with a maple top/mahogany with maple top are good combinations, but Suhr also offer swamp ash, koa, alder or korina. Maybe I don't even need a maple top!

I played a lot of Suhr Standards and they played very well. I also played one of the new pro series guitars which was astonishing value- the quality was EXACTLY THE SAME! In fact I liked the tone of the pro series better.

I'm only thinking of getting a custom because I want to see if I can improve on the tonal brilliance of the pro series and in turn get a guitar I like the look of more.

Has anyone got any thoughts please? I've saved all my money and this is my one shot at getting the best guitar I can for my needs.
BoraBora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr's SSV pup would split very well. That pickup is often recommended for neck humbuckers.

In my experience, African rosewood has a lot of highs. I've got an alder bodied Standard with a maple neck with Pau Ferro board. Pau Ferro to my ears seems like a happy medium between a 1-piece maple neck and a maple neck with Indian rosewood board.

You stated that you've played some Suhr Standards and also played a Pro Series, and you liked the tone of the Pro Series the best. If you liked the tone of the wood combinations in the Pro Series, why don't you get a guitar with similar specs and refine the specs to your exact tastes?

Hope some of this helps. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: