Suhr :: View topic - Floyd Rose Bridge Availability (and Suhr #4305 and #4307)

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Floyd Rose Bridge Availability (and Suhr #4305 and #4307)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdzialak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Floyd Rose Bridge Availability (and Suhr #4305 and #4307 Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
Lets not get out of control here!!!!! Yes we have been waiting but your Black unit will be here before the birth date of the guitar so settle down now Laughing

The Chrome units should be here in 2 weeks
So just chill boys Razz

Shocked That pretty much shut us up.

Respectfully,
Joe
eddyrox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Floyd Rose Bridge Availability (and Suhr #4305 and #4307 Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
eddyrox wrote:
John, I understand that the Floyd Rose bridges are backordered through November? And that you've been waiting 5 months for new stock? (I probably have my story all screwed up, so apologies in advance! Wink) Could you shed some light on this situation? Is it due to parts, components, manufacturing processes/controls (or lack thereof), etc.?

But that said, what are the chances of getting a chrome Floyd (Joe's 4307) and a black Floyd (my 4305) for some February birthdates? Confused

thanks for the insights!!
mike o.

Lets not get out of control here!!!!! Yes we have been waiting but your Black unit will be here before the birth date of the guitar so settle down now Laughing

So just chill boys Razz

anyone see Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? Remember Dobby the house elf? ("Master has spoken, must not upset anyone - bad Dobby!") Well how about Wayne and Garth? (We're not worthy!!")........that's about how I'm feeling right now..........better crawl back under that rock, from whence I appeared........ Wink

Sorry John!! Razz
eddyrox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Floyd Rose Bridge Availability (and Suhr #4305 and #4307 Reply with quote

jdzialak wrote:
Suhr wrote:

So just chill boys Razz

ahhh......yeah.

jdzialak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Floyd Rose Bridge Availability (and Suhr #4305 and #4307 Reply with quote

eddyrox wrote:
jdzialak wrote:
Suhr wrote:

So just chill boys Razz

ahhh......yeah.

He said the Black will be here before the birthdate of the guitar..which is what? What's your b-date?
Whats mine?

Joe
eddyrox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Floyd Rose Bridge Availability (and Suhr #4305 and #4307 Reply with quote

jdzialak wrote:
eddyrox wrote:
jdzialak wrote:
Suhr wrote:

So just chill boys Razz

ahhh......yeah.

He said the Black will be here before the birthdate of the guitar..which is what? What's your b-date?
Whats mine?

Joe

well....according to Mike (at the shop) we're looking at a couple of weeks and that was a week ago. So I'd guess that by the week of 2/21, there s/b somemore "'Suhr' in da house"!

If Chrome's arriving a coupla weeks subsequent, then month's end is what I'd be guessing.
mike.
davyped

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdzialak wrote:
My friends call me a wanker... Confused
But really, I just wanna stay in tune while using a whammy bar.
I had no idea they were getting so rarely used. Or maybe over used if they are back ordered...Hmmm.

Now how about some Info from the SUHR camp about our Floyds?

Joe

Joe, did you decide to put a Floyd on your new Suhr?

Dave
jdzialak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyped wrote:

Joe, did you decide to put a Floyd on your new Suhr?

Dave

Hi Dave,
After borrowing 2 different guitars with Wilkinson's, I decided against one.
I just wasn't comfortable with the G string tuning issues I was having. If I set it up to be in tune after bending, one touch from the bar made it sharp. Or vice versa if I set it up to be in tune after diving.
The Floyds just work better for me, although I really wanted to get away from the locking nut this time. Oh well...

Joe
MikeE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdzialak wrote:
What Dave said. Eventually the TREMOL-NO will be available to us mere mortals and that will be the thing to get.
http://www.tremol-no.com/

Joe

I have been waiting for this thing to be available. I read on another board that the inventor is still looking for someone to manufacture it.

Mike E.
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeE wrote:
jdzialak wrote:
What Dave said. Eventually the TREMOL-NO will be available to us mere mortals and that will be the thing to get.

Joe

I have been waiting for this thing to be available. I read on another board that the inventor is still looking for someone to manufacture it.

Mike E.

Well unless their Patent has run out Gibson (thru Steinberger) owns a patent on locking any trem system Rolling Eyes
MikeE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
Well unless their Patent has run out Gibson (thru Steinberger) owns a patent on locking any trem system Rolling Eyes

The patent isn't that general Very Happy , remember the Kahler Steeler Floyd copy? That had an "auto latch" locking mechanism.

Funny you mention Steinberger; I was going to bring that up. What are your thoughts on the Trans Trem? Have you ever built a guitar using the trem? Before I ordered my Suhr I had 2 Music Yo USA GM4T's. I sent both back due to quality issues, mostly due to the neck/frets. I had considered getting a custom guitar built with a Trans Trem but it would have been too expensive. I would love to see a good Floyd alternative though. Want to build me a Trans Trem Suhr Laughing ?

Mike E.
killerburst

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeE wrote:
Suhr wrote:

The patent isn't that general Very Happy , remember the Kahler Steeler Floyd copy? That had an "auto latch" locking mechanism.

Gibson didn't own Steinberger or their IP when Kahler had their auto-latch on the market. Besides, Gary Kahler was also sued by Floyd Rose for non-payment of license fees on the Steeler. Don't think that just because Kahler did it, it was legal. They just did it until a court order said they had to stop.

The Steinberger patent languauge is very ambigous, leaving plenty of room for Gibson's attorney's to send out cease and desist letters. Regardless of whether or not the patent would hold up, no one wants to (or can afford to) defend themselves against Gibson in court.

You may remember that Trevor Wilkinson had a convertible bridge about 10-12 years ago. It would have been a huge success, had Gibson not put a stop to it. Overnight, you couldn't get parts for the convertible bridge anymore.

The one thing that might work in Tremol-No's favor is they're not selling a complete system, just an accessory to an existing design.
MikeE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killerburst wrote:
MikeE wrote:
Suhr wrote:

Gibson didn't own Steinberger or their IP when Kahler had their auto-latch on the market. Besides, Gary Kahler was also sued by Floyd Rose for non-payment of license fees on the Steeler. Don't think that just because Kahler did it, it was legal. They just did it until a court order said they had to stop.

The Steinberger patent languauge is very ambigous, leaving plenty of room for Gibson's attorney's to send out cease and desist letters. Regardless of whether or not the patent would hold up, no one wants to (or can afford to) defend themselves against Gibson in court.

You may remember that Trevor Wilkinson had a convertible bridge about 10-12 years ago. It would have been a huge success, had Gibson not put a stop to it. Overnight, you couldn't get parts for the convertible bridge anymore.

The one thing that might work in Tremol-No's favor is they're not selling a complete system, just an accessory to an existing design.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Steinberger patent but I assumed the patent would be on how the trem locks not the locking aspect itself. They keyword is assumed Very Happy .

I also noticed that the new Floyd Speedloader has a locking screw; wouldn't this infringe on the patent if the patent were to cover locking a trem (forward and backward movement of the baseplate)?

"The SpeedLoader Tremolo offers all the versatility of the
original Floyd Rose Tremolo™ with the ease and performance
of the SpeedLoader System. You can still execute the most
subtle tremolo or wildest dive-bombing effects and return to
perfect tuning every time. The SpeedLoader tremolo also
features the new Floyd Rose TremStopper that
enables the player to block the tremolo
system with a simple turn of a screw.

This brings up another question. Anyone have experience with the speedloader?

Mike E
killerburst

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wrote that no one wants to (or can afford to) go head to head with Gibson, I wasn't thinking of Floyd. If anybody knows their way around IP law, it's Floyd Rose and his attorney(s). And he can afford to take Gibson on.

That said, the set screw on the Floyd Rose guitars is not designed to quickly take the bridge from floating to fixed in a playing situation. It takes a little more effort than that and is intended for use as a set-up tool.

I happen to know Floyd, and am well versed with his new guitars and the Speedloader. Start another thread in the 'Open Discussion' area and I'll answer any questions you have.
kabuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdzialak wrote:
davyped wrote:

Use a piece of wood and place it between the tremolo block and the body (in the tremolo cavity). You can always use a little silicone glue and glue it to the block, not the wood, that way it is easy to remove should you decide later. The hardest part is trimming the wood shim to where the bridge will be level.

Dave

Joe

AMEN! The Tremol-no will solve all of your problems, make you rich and famous, AND pay your mortgage Mr. Green

Seriously, it will make your life more bearable if you have a trem. I have tried the unit on several guitars and it works exactly as Kevan claims. Here's a review I did on the Tremol-no. Yes, Kev and I are buds, but he knows I would never put my name to anything I didn't fully believe in.
jdzialak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days away from March...Any Floyd news?

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: