Suhr :: View topic - Guitar Companion App for Android

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Guitar Companion App for Android

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Chin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Guitar Companion App for Android Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I'm a guitarist and a software developer. I'd like to share an Android app I developed for practicing guitarists, called Mozart's Friend.

Mozart's Friend includes an interactive music library with over 1,200 scales, modes and chords for every music key signature, complete with piano view and neck view for 6, 7 or 8-string guitar and 4, 5 or 6-string bass. Notes and intervals are labeled using music theory conventions, making Mozart's Friend a great companion for the composer or music student. One-touch audio demonstrations provide interactive ear training. Tunings for each instrument are fully user-definable.

Also included is a chromatic tuner and a programmable metronome with adjustable tones and intervallic beats, allowing you to quickly outline a chord to play along with. Transpose keys easily in a single swipe.

And finally, a one-touch backup band! The new Jam Tracks feature allows you to simply choose your musical style and you're up and running. Adjust the tempo and key with the friendly controls.

Mozart's Friend does not save nor send any user information, contains no ads and is absolutely Free.

Cheers,

-James

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jameschin.android.mozartsfriend

[/url]
Slippery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dude, Very Happy

Been using Nokia ever since mobile phones went digital... but they now use windows mobile... so now I have an Android phone & have been looking for a good guitar App, will give it a good quizzing.

Will let you know what I think. Smile

Ok, Gotta Bail. Ooroo for now! Slippery.
James Chin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you find it useful!
Slippery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Just a bit of feed back for you, I just love this app.
There are a few things though that I find kinda not right for me

Pro's
Arrow Jam tracks are just brilliant.

Arrow metronome is great, easy to adjust

Arrow Tuner works well

Con's
Arrow Scales, well for me I get a bit lost, yes all the notes are there, but if you are still learning..& well we never stop learning really...it can be a bit much to take in.

Arrow Chords, well again all the notes are there.
But maybe I was thinking it would be more like chord charts, rather than all the notes in that key. My thought was instead of dragging a large book with you, you could have a quick sqizz(look) at the app for reference.

Thanks for making this app, my timing & rhythm has improved immensely.
Keep developing music software for us learning people... Very Happy

James Chin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Slippery,

Thanks for taking the time to compose your feedback, glad you enjoy the app!

Could you elaborate on what you were hoping to see in Scales?

Regarding chord charts, here's the thing:

The familiar chord diagrams only apply to one tuning, usually standard tuning. So the trusty old 320033 G-chord only works in EADGBE, and if someone had their custom tuning, 320033 would no longer be valid and transposing the fingers might not yield a usable fingering in the new tuning.

I am considering developing a smart chord builder AI that builds chords based on parameters, but this is no small task when considering custom tunings, allowed fingerings, inversions, inclusions/exclusions, area of fingerboard, etc etc.

So I made the design decision to basically provide the roadmap and let the users build their own chords based on their own requirements.
Slippery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello James,

I have a few examples on what I mean, these are screen grabs, so I hope I don't post what I'm not supposed too.

Arrow Firstly I understand what you mean with different tunings...!
there are heeps to think about, but most of the apps I've looked at just used the old standard EADGBE. Working a little as a roadie I come across some interesting things.
Arrow This is kinda what I mean with a scale pattern or chart ETC.
EG: C Minor Pentatonic scale, fret 8

Arrow I am not a programmer, but I do understand this would be a lot of work to have the choice of fret & Scale, or key. & I understand this is a FREE APP also.... A bloody good one.
Arrow As far as Chords go.... something like this is what I was looking at...

Arrow Or you could have a chart like this...

Arrow Anywho... again I know it is free, a great tool, but if I had a wish list... this is how it would go For Me.

thanks again for this...Slip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: