Suhr :: View topic - Trus Rod Hard to Turn

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Trus Rod Hard to Turn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlindGuitarist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Trus Rod Hard to Turn Reply with quote

I have a Suhr Modern set neck.
I am using the correct tool that came with the guitar.
I cannot get it to turn to adjust the trus rod slightly.

With the roasted maple, I honestly only need to turn it 1/8" of a turn approximately, every three or four months. This is by far the most stable guitar I have ever owned!

Anyway, I cannot get the long allen key to turn, and I sure don't want to lean on it. :)

Can I lubricate the trus rod nut somehow? The tool is quite long, so I am unsure how to get any sort of lubricant far enough into the channel. ... just apply a bit on the end of the tool??

I have some PTFE lubricant here that I use on trem knife edges and other contact points. Would this work on a trus rod nut?

Thanks for any, uh, tips. It was so difficult writing this post without making any Freudian slips! :)
tWreCK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a classic antique and I have the same problem with the truss rod on it - it's very stiff and difficult to turn. But when I put enough pressure on the allen key it eventually moves - albeit in a jerky movement. The first time I adjusted the rod I thought I was going to break it. I called support about it and they told me it's nothing to worry about as long as it moves.

Lubricating the truss rod opening will do nothing to ease movement. You need to lubricate the actual threads of the truss rod nut. Whether or not the nut is easily removable is the big question. Hopefully Suhr can jump in here and give us an answer......
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trus Rod Hard to Turn Reply with quote

BlindGuitarist wrote:
I have a Suhr Modern set neck.
I am using the correct tool that came with the guitar.
I cannot get it to turn to adjust the trus rod slightly.

With the roasted maple, I honestly only need to turn it 1/8" of a turn approximately, every three or four months. This is by far the most stable guitar I have ever owned!

Anyway, I cannot get the long allen key to turn, and I sure don't want to lean on it. Smile

Can I lubricate the trus rod nut somehow? The tool is quite long, so I am unsure how to get any sort of lubricant far enough into the channel. ... just apply a bit on the end of the tool??

I have some PTFE lubricant here that I use on trem knife edges and other contact points. Would this work on a trus rod nut?

Thanks for any, uh, tips. It was so difficult writing this post without making any Freudian slips! Smile

Best to always talk to customer service first. Metal on metal could be binding. There are washer though, best is to take the nut out first put the lube or graphite grease on the end of the nut and reinsert.
xana75

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the same problem with suhr classic antique
tight truss rod and jerky rotation

i've made setups for other new classic antique to my local dealer ( he's my dear friends) and all the guitars has the same problem!!
Suhr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xana75 wrote:
Here the same problem with suhr classic antique
tight truss rod and jerky rotation

i've made setups for other new classic antique to my local dealer ( he's my dear friends) and all the guitars has the same problem!!

If it just feels binding then take the nut out, put some bar soap on the metal and reinstall. If you have any other problems please contact CS. Thanks
xana75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx very much
i did as you advise me and now truss rod is soft and easy to turn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: