Suhr :: View topic - Modern Satin: Can I swap the Korean Floyd with a Gotoh?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Modern Satin: Can I swap the Korean Floyd with a Gotoh?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Toneking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Modern Satin: Can I swap the Korean Floyd with a Gotoh? Reply with quote

I have a modern satin and love the guitar, but the Floyd feels kind of 'cheap' should I say in comparison to one of my Gotoh Floyd guitars.

Is this an easy swap? What all would need to be done to make this happen?...if at all possible?

Thanks
Lord Toneking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 views and no answer?
Suhr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Satin: Can I swap the Korean Floyd with a Gotoh? Reply with quote

Lord Toneking wrote:
I have a modern satin and love the guitar, but the Floyd feels kind of 'cheap' should I say in comparison to one of my Gotoh Floyd guitars.

Is this an easy swap? What all would need to be done to make this happen?...if at all possible?

Thanks

No it would require modification. Really not worth the effort, it is still a good bridge.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try the German OFR but since Suhr actually uses the nicer O1000 Korean Floyd I'm not sure if the German OFR is much of an upgrade at all.

It's possible that you just prefer the feel of Gotoh Floyds over the "original" Floyds.

Now since John already chimed in, I don't want to give bad advice, but I have replaced OFRs with Gotohs on other guitars. You do have to live with a few kinks though so I'll mention them here and you can decide if that's worth the effort at all for you.

* Gotoh's posts are not the same size as OFR's posts. The locking stud from Gotoh is slightly bigger so you'd have to enlarge the post hole somehow. A highly dangerous task without proper tools and craftsmanship in my opinion.
* You can use the OFR posts with the Gotoh Floyd, but depending on the guitar that could potentially mess with your trem's reliability or intonation. I've done this on a project guitar and a Jackson DK2M but I could have just gotten lucky. No guarantees that it's fine for your Modern.
* Gotoh's width and length are slightly larger than OFR's as I remember. The Gotoh might not fit your OFR's recess cavity either from the side or the saddle screws might protrude too much. I do know that on the Jackson DK2M it's a rather scarily tight fit, and the bridge actually looks a bit "lopsided", even though it isn't. Basically I have one side looking really tight fit and the other side has a bit larger gap.

If you can live with the above and perform the mod yourself you can probably get away with it, but if you have to take it to a tech and spend a couple hundred dollars and wait a couple weeks to get it done, I'd take John's advice and not mess with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: