Suhr :: View topic - Favorite tubes of the S90/P90 players...

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister

Favorite tubes of the S90/P90 players...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatWunGai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Favorite tubes of the S90/P90 players... Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm a few weeks away from owning my very first Suhr guitar Very Happy, a JM Pro with S90's. This will also be my first Soap bar guitar, and I'm wondering which tubes I should use for some juicy rock tones?

I play in a punk/rock/alt. band as the rhythm guitarist (who's working on his solo chops so I can share the lead duties) and my current setup is a '04 PRS McCarty Rosewood (BKP Pain Killer/Cold Sweat), > Analogman DS-1 > Cali76 Deluxe Compact > Neunaber Immerse > THD Flexi50 (EL34's) > THD 2x12 (& Orange CB 2x12 when more volume is needed).

The THD is a keeper amp because it feeds my need to tinker and experiment because I can use a variety of tubes in it, so I'm really looking forward to finding a great match up for the JM Pro, but I'd like some of the fine folks here who've played P90's to chime in with their favorites and help me get started.

Thanks All! Smile
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite tubes of the S90/P90 players... Reply with quote

Itís more about finding the right amp. Tubes are not going to give you dramatic changes in tone in the same amp.
DatWunGai wrote:
Hello All,

I'm a few weeks away from owning my very first Suhr guitar Very Happy, a JM Pro with S90's. This will also be my first Soap bar guitar, and I'm wondering which tubes I should use for some juicy rock tones?

I play in a punk/rock/alt. band as the rhythm guitarist (who's working on his solo chops so I can share the lead duties) and my current setup is a '04 PRS McCarty Rosewood (BKP Pain Killer/Cold Sweat), > Analogman DS-1 > Cali76 Deluxe Compact > Neunaber Immerse > THD Flexi50 (EL34's) > THD 2x12 (& Orange CB 2x12 when more volume is needed).

The THD is a keeper amp because it feeds my need to tinker and experiment because I can use a variety of tubes in it, so I'm really looking forward to finding a great match up for the JM Pro, but I'd like some of the fine folks here who've played P90's to chime in with their favorites and help me get started.

Thanks All! Smile
DatWunGai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Suhr - Thank you, and I see your point.

While I don't disagree, I must say that I've invested lots of time and a decent amount of money on different tubes just to have the ability to tinker and experiment with the Flexi, and there have been significant differences in tone going from EL34's to 6L6's to EL84's, for example. Moreover, I've found plenty of tonal differences can be found with different preamp tubes. It was way too buzzy and harsh for my BKPs with an Analogman DS-1 Pro with the amp and pedal both dialed way down, but replacing my V1 and Phase inverter with AT7's turned the whole rig upside down and got me a sweet, sweet grinding overdriven tone.

Again, you're right about the amp, but I feel like the THD is kind of the Swiss army knife of amps based on my 10 or so years of experience with it, so I'm just looking to see what long time or even recent P90 fans like with their pickups. Not a "better" or "worse" kind of question, more of a poll to see what people think to give me some things to try and consider.

I was reading a bit this morning and it seems there's a considerable fan base for "tweed" amps with P90's, so that's one avenue (6L6's) for me to explore and see if I like it.

@Suhr, what would you suggest from your own stable of Suhr amps?
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DatWunGai wrote:

While I don't disagree, I must say that I've invested lots of time and a decent amount of money on different tubes just to have the ability to tinker and experiment with the Flexi, and there have been significant differences in tone going from EL34's to 6L6's to EL84's, for example. Moreover, I've found plenty of tonal differences can be found with different preamp tubes. It was way too buzzy and harsh for my BKPs with an Analogman DS-1 Pro with the amp and pedal both dialed way down, but replacing my V1 and Phase inverter with AT7's turned the whole rig upside down and got me a sweet, sweet grinding overdriven tone.

Again, you're right about the amp, but I feel like the THD is kind of the Swiss army knife of amps based on my 10 or so years of experience with it, so I'm just looking to see what long time or even recent P90 fans like with their pickups. Not a "better" or "worse" kind of question, more of a poll to see what people think to give me some things to try and consider.

I was reading a bit this morning and it seems there's a considerable fan base for "tweed" amps with P90's, so that's one avenue (6L6's) for me to explore and see if I like it.

Depends on what tone you are trying to achieve
I understand the THD lets you change tubes but it really isn't the same as changing to a different circuit. In other words there is no "best" and putting an EL34 in there won't make it sound like a Marshall, try and see what works for you.
DatWunGai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
DatWunGai wrote:

I understand the THD lets you change tubes but it really isn't the same as changing to a different circuit. In other words there is no "best" and putting an EL34 in there won't make it sound like a Marshall, try and see what works for you.

Very true. I've always been into the heavy rock sound of a LP into a Marshall, like so many, but lately I'm finding some real beauty in the singing, sweeter sound of the soapbar pups and I find myself looking for a new (to my ears) tone. Something less brash. I love my Tchula pedal, FWIW, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun trying different tubes in the ol' Flexi with the JM's S90's. The problem is, I don't really know what I'm trying to achieve now. After so many years going for and using that thick rock crunch humbucker associated sound that I'm finding it hard to describe what I'm after. I guess I'll know it when I find it. So to make a long story longer, I'm going from mahogany/maple to alder/maple, humbuckers to 90's, 25" scale to 25.5 - it's all very exciting to me, so my original post was just to see what others like - for whatever reason they do - to get me going on my new tone adventure.
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general EL34 have more midrange. 6L6 a little rounder bottom and a little more top. I would probably use EL34 but adjust by what you hear.
DatWunGai wrote:
Suhr wrote:
DatWunGai wrote:

Very true. I've always been into the heavy rock sound of a LP into a Marshall, like so many, but lately I'm finding some real beauty in the singing, sweeter sound of the soapbar pups and I find myself looking for a new (to my ears) tone. Something less brash. I love my Tchula pedal, FWIW, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun trying different tubes in the ol' Flexi with the JM's S90's. The problem is, I don't really know what I'm trying to achieve now. After so many years going for and using that thick rock crunch humbucker associated sound that I'm finding it hard to describe what I'm after. I guess I'll know it when I find it. So to make a long story longer, I'm going from mahogany/maple to alder/maple, humbuckers to 90's, 25" scale to 25.5 - it's all very exciting to me, so my original post was just to see what others like - for whatever reason they do - to get me going on my new tone adventure.
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general EL34 have more midrange. 6L6 a little rounder bottom and a little more top. I would probably use EL34 but adjust by what you hear.
DatWunGai wrote:
Suhr wrote:
DatWunGai wrote:

Lakeabilene

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Try the 84's Reply with quote

I would recommend the 84's. I have a Badger, a Lone Star Special, and a Dr. Z that use the 84 tubes. That's what I use with any P-90 type pickup. They not only make the P90 sound come alive, but I try humbuckers with those amps and quickly change to a P90 it's that much difference. To my ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Amp Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: