Suhr :: View topic - 4x12 for SE-100?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

4x12 for SE-100?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuclear Shredder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: 4x12 for SE-100? Reply with quote

I am putting in an order for a SE-100 this week (tomorrow!).

I am at a loss for what cab to get. No matter what I choose, I'll need to have it shipped in. (I live in Taiwan.) I have no budget.

I am going for VH 1 distortion tones to rolled back tones. I am big into the volume knob/pedal. I really enjoy how dynamic Guthrie Govan is and I play in that "style", although much slower. I work hard on phrasing, picking dynamics, and bending. I am not a huge fan of Guthrie's tone, however. I want more of a "wild-beast" tone.

With that said, which speaker and cabs?

I have been looking at cabs from Diezel, Friedman, and EVH. I don't know what Suhr has to offer in the 4x12 category, although John mentioned they have 4x12s on the Gear Page. I don't know if they make them in-house or if they are done by a manufacture like where the Friedman cabs are built. I don't know what their speaker options are, either.

Oddly, it seems like EVH may have the best match. People rave about their 4x12s, but I'd love to have a matching Suhr cab. Maybe a Suhr 4x12 with G12 greenbacks....

Perhaps this question justifies a call to Suhr.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for hard rock tone then you can't go wrong with a Marshall 4x12 or a Boogie Rectifier 4x12.

Are you looking for speaker breakup or do you want the speakers to stay clean? Greenbacks will have a bit of breakup while V30s will stay pristine. Ultimately it's a question of whether you want some of your distortion to come from the speaker.

Personally I've never tried the Suhr 4x12, but I've tried Marshall, Diezel, and Boogie. All great for hard rock and metal.
Nuclear Shredder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaeniusZ wrote:
If you're looking for hard rock tone then you can't go wrong with a Marshall 4x12 or a Boogie Rectifier 4x12.

Are you looking for speaker breakup or do you want the speakers to stay clean? Greenbacks will have a bit of breakup while V30s will stay pristine. Ultimately it's a question of whether you want some of your distortion to come from the speaker.

Personally I've never tried the Suhr 4x12, but I've tried Marshall, Diezel, and Boogie. All great for hard rock and metal.

Dude,

I like what you wrote. The thing is that I have no idea.
Reading last night, creambacks came into the picture.
I think the thing I will need to do is find the starting point -- the standard cab for good practice -- get used to that and then experiment once my ear has some knowledge behind it.

I'm guessing, like you mentioned, the choice comes down to greenbacks VS V30s. Get used to one of those, and then experiment in different directions.

(I am a bit late to the game when it comes to this stuff. I've been playing electric acoustically for a long time. )
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many factors that decide the sound of a cab: speakers, wood, size, and construction of the cab.

If you're new to this then yeah as you said, just get a very standard cab that's good quality. In that case, can't go wrong with the Mesa Rectifier 4x12 or the Marshall 1960A as they are both industry standards in terms of 4x12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Amp Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: