Suhr :: View topic - PT100 vs. Suhr SL amps??? I don't understand differences

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

PT100 vs. Suhr SL amps??? I don't understand differences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brokeguitar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: PT100 vs. Suhr SL amps??? I don't understand differences Reply with quote

Can you explain what advantages one of the amps would have over the other between the SL and the PT100?

The description makes it sound as if the SL has the perfect EVH Brown sound.... so are you saying the PT100 can't easily also get perfect EVH Brown sound?

Descriptions say that PT100 has most amazing cleans.... So the SL amps would be lacking in clean then?
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my understanding they are built for completely difference purposes

The SL amps seem to be Marshall Plexi clones with modern improvements. They probably behave almost identical to vintage Marshall Plexi amps like 1959SLP and 1987X. No channel switching, jumper inputs, blending the 2 channels with their respective volume knobs... everything is just like a real Plexi. The SL's ability to recreate that sound is uncanny, watch Pete's huge showdown video of Plexis and Plexi clones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeRhczwoj8

PT100 is a whole different animal because it's not designed to be a modern improved recreation of another amp, and is not a "clone" of anything. The PT100 is its own amp with its own character with modern features and versatility in mind. It's supposed to allow you to tweak it to sound like whatever you want in your head.

As for EVH sound... well that's a whole different animal. Eddie himself used different amps throughout the years, and outside of each album's mixing and post processing, Eddie sounds mostly consistent. By that I mean while the raw tone is certainly different, especially after record mixing and post processing, the combination of Eddie's playing style and the tone he dials for himself creates a tone that you immediately recognize as Eddie's regardless of era. My point is if you know how to work your gear and you have a clear idea of what tone you want in your head, you can make it happen on most rigs, or at least close enough anyways. EVH is the master of that, the guy did all kinds of crazy hacky garage engineering stuff to his rig all the time with every rig he's ever used, and he ultimately always gets his signature EVH sound with just a bit of variation here and there that reflects his personality at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Amp Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: