Suhr :: View topic - Question regarding Gotoh 510 setup - and two point trems.

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Question regarding Gotoh 510 setup - and two point trems.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Hero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Question regarding Gotoh 510 setup - and two point trems. Reply with quote

So I've always found the Gotoh trems on my Suhr and Tyler a little stiffer and less bouncy feeling that the tremolos on my American Deluxe Fender or EBMM Luke II, but never really figured why. I guessed it could be springs or something like that so I put Raw Vintage springs in both and whilst it did improve it, it hasn't ever felt as good.
Yesterday, I noticed that my Suhr trem wasn't parallel to the guitar top - the high E side was about 1/32" higher. I guess it's always been that way, so I equaled them out (I'm guessing they're supposed to be equal heights from the body?) This improved it a little but still nothing like my Fender or Luke.

I'd always read that the Gotoh should be set parallel front to back too, even when floating, with no tilt. First question is, why is this? It seems to be that it makes the trem feel stiffer, as on a whim I floated it up so I could get a minor third pull up on the G, as on the other two, and suddenly it has a ton more of that springiness and bounce to the trem, and generally feels much looser and more responsive. I've tried tweaking the trem for months to be more like that but could never get it like that parallel. I wonder if it's anything to do with lowering the saddles to get the action back to where it was too? Saddles closer to the plate?

So, why is the parallel setup more recommended? Is it to do with tuning stability?
Secondly, there's no issue in floating it angled, right? It seems to be like any other two-point trem except it seems people set these flat?

Any insight would be great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: