Suhr :: View topic - Govan or standard

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Govan or standard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skinny1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Govan or standard Reply with quote

Hoping to get some advice on making the choice between a Guthrie Govan model,not antique modern,and a surh modern hsh with Aldrich pickups.I have liked what I have heard of both of them and would like to get some opinions on what the differences would be in tone,feel and versitility.Thanks
ctc1960

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skinny 1,

Your subject line says Govan or Standard. In the body of your post, you mention a Govan and a Suhr Modern. I think I know what you are asking, but before I respond, I would like to get it right. Obviously you know that the Govan is a "Modern" built to Guthrie's specifications. Then you have the "Standard" which is a different guitar all together.

I am guessing that you want to compare a "Guthrie Govan Modern" versus a "Custom Modern" that you can select woods, options, etc. Is that accurate? If so, I will write back Wednesday night. I am on Pacific Daylight Time.

Thanks, Chris
Skinny1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct,that is what I meant.I realized that I made that mistake when I posted but then couldn't edit it.Thanks
tylerisdumb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The duty of comparing a Guthrie to a Modern with Aldrichs is a difficult task because it is a very vague comparison; because one guitar is defined while the other is open to many alterations it's hard to help. You said you heard both but what were the specs of the other modern?

I think you should take the Guthrie model and evaluate it in accordance to your desires. Do you want the honk of mahogany? Do you want the added brilliance of the maple top? Do you like the pickup configuration and switching options? And so on...

The wood debate has been defined, is a personal decision, and been covered many times by Mr. Suhr and the rest of us guitar-nerds! I bet you can find endless pages through the search feature on the forum.

Hope that helps a bit,
tyler
lakeshow8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents (not adjusted for today's inflation):

If the comparison is between a GG Modern and a Custom Modern... Unless you absolutely want every spec on the GG Modern (mahogany, 16" fretboard, floating bridge...) I would rather spec a Custom Modern to my liking. A little thing like fretboard radius and nut width is something I'd rather have different than the GG. Woods and tone can also be adjusted to your liking/ears.

One sure thing though (no pun intended) is the quality of the custom build will blow you away. I'm still amazed how incredible my Modern is in feel, tone, vibe... whatever you decide will be a great choice. Good luck and post what you ordered! Very Happy
Skinny1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am really more interested in your thoughts on the differences in the surh pick ups.I understand the combinations of the wood make guitars sound different.What I would like to know is which pickups would I choose if I wanted the most versatility,strat like or tele like tones and still an ample amount of gain.
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should give some consideration to having the same pickup and wiring configuration as the GG model. It's very versatile, and can cover a lot of ground.

The SSH+ is almost the same as the Aldrich bridge pickup. It has slightly less output, but is certainly able to drive the front end of an amp hard.
BoogieEngineer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd get a Classic (alder body with maple neck) with all single coils. I have one and it's the best I've played. And I have owned a GG Modern, a Standard and a Classic T. Well the T sounds fatter with the fixed bridge but swamp ash is too bright for my taste. Alder sounds best to me. You'll be amazed how versatile the Classic is. Plus single coils just sound fatter, more harmonic, more bass, tighter and overall better than humbuckers. I was so stupid that it took a long time for me to realize that after all the wasted cash.

Of course if you're into death metal or brutal and all that crap it's not gonna do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: