Suhr :: View topic - Modern 7 Floyd Rose Arm

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Modern 7 Floyd Rose Arm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tylerisdumb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Modern 7 Floyd Rose Arm Reply with quote

I just acquired a Modern 7 and I have been bonding with this awesome instrument. Koa, low A, pau ferro, so AWESOME. But I have a small issue-the wobbly floyd arm is a bit annoying.

I know this issue has nothing to do with Suhr-the guitar is AMAZING-but instead is an inherent issue with the trem arm itself. On my Modern 6 I have a 510 trem and love the feel of the tight arm.

I emailed Suhr customer service, and was advised to teflon tape the threads which I will try. But, I was wondering if anyone is aware of a separate arm/sleeve assembly that has the same feel as the gotoh 510 that I can purchase?

I know I'm gonna get asked to post pics:) I'll try to get some up later.
Thanks,
tyler
Stugots

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can buy the Floyd style bar with the cap screw and replace the Gotoh bar ( Ive done it before ) so I would guess you could do the opposite and buy a Gotoh replacement arm and put it on the Floyd.
tylerisdumb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stugots wrote:
I know you can buy the Floyd style bar with the cap screw and replace the Gotoh bar ( Ive done it before ) so I would guess you could do the opposite and buy a Gotoh replacement arm and put it on the Floyd.

Thanks for the response!

I asked Don about doing this and he said that the 510 arm attachment is not compatible. I am not sure why? Maybe the hole in the floyd plate or space in the cavity.

Not to mention it is next to impossible to find a vendor selling the Gotoh assembly.

Plumber's tape didn't help much. The issue-as far as my meager brain can deduce- is the gap between the arm and the sleeve when it is threaded into the term. It's all wobbly. Might be something I have to live with.

tyler
Suhr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the beautiful features of the Gotoh.
You can actually adapt the Gotoh arm assembly to the floyd but it requires some machining. We have done it once and it isnt fun. Plus you need to get a hold of the assembly.
I remember back in the day this also bothered me. I used to drop a small piece of rubber tube in the bottom of the channel. It only lasts so long then you have to dig it out and replace it. You also might get some delrin in ultra thin sheets from McMaster car and wrap some around the solid part of the arm. Try the teflon tape around the solid part and not the threads
Thanks
tylerisdumb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
You can actually adapt the Gotoh arm assembly to the floyd but it requires some machining. We have done it once and it isnt fun. Plus you need to get a hold of the assembly.
I remember back in the day this also bothered me. I used to drop a small piece of rubber tube in the bottom of the channel. It only lasts so long then you have to dig it out and replace it. You also might get some delrin in ultra thin sheets from McMaster car and wrap some around the solid part of the arm. Try the teflon tape around the solid part and not the threads
Thanks

Thanks for the response John! I agree about the 510 arm. It is so responsive and sensitive.

Yeah I finally tracked down a vendor that would sell me a sleeve/arm. Don stated that retrofitting the arm to the Floyd was a rough proposition and hearing you reiterate this idea confirms it it a task too difficult for a dummy armed with a Dremel-such as myself Very Happy

I did wrap the arm-both sleeve and threads-with Teflon tape. Helped enough. I'm not gonna stress about it. The guitar is amazing.

Take care,
tyler
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerisdumb wrote:
Suhr wrote:
Thanks

Thanks for the response John! I agree about the 510 arm. It is so responsive and sensitive.

Yeah I finally tracked down a vendor that would sell me a sleeve/arm. Don stated that retrofitting the arm to the Floyd was a rough proposition and hearing you reiterate this idea confirms it it a task too difficult for a dummy armed with a Dremel-such as myself Very Happy

I did wrap the arm-both sleeve and threads-with Teflon tape. Helped enough. I'm not gonna stress about it. The guitar is amazing.

Take care,
tyler

Ask ally if you have the whole gotoh assembly and a good Drexel and some grinding stones you need to very carefully perfectly open the hole off center form the existing hole. Doable but a pain. We did it for one customer only and my guys didn't want to do it again Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: