Suhr :: View topic - Suhr Bridge PU for LP? classic 57 in neck

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

Suhr Bridge PU for LP? classic 57 in neck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kzin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Suhr Bridge PU for LP? classic 57 in neck Reply with quote

Im looking for another bridge PU for my les paul trad pro, I find the bb3 way to harsh, thin and ice picky, so I decided to check out the Suhr alternatives.

The guitar has a classic 57 in the bridge. The pups are uncovered zebra, with coiltap and 500k vol pot. Im planing on puting chrome covers on them eventually, but I would still like a zebra pup in case I would like to go back to that look. I also plan on changing the 500 pots to mellow the guitar a bit. It is quite bright. It also needs to be coilsplittapable, but all Suhr pups are wired that way, right?

I dont realy know what tones Im looking for. It needs to match the classic 57 pretty good i guess. Also, I want something beefy.

Suggestions?
ctc1960

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldrich...Very hot but clear

SSH+...Hot but closer match to 57

It is personal preference, but you cannot go wrong with a Suhr pickup.
HaggertysMusic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cast a vote for the DSH+ and KEEP the 500K pots! Shocked

Going below a 500K volume pot is a sure fire recipe for "blanket tone" and the DSH+ sounds thick and will tame the cutting highs on its own.

Quote:
It also needs to be coilsplittapable, but all Suhr pups are wired that way, right?

Yeah, you'll be able to coil split it. Have you ever tried a bridge pickup with a series/parallel switch? It would be worth a try if you're wiring this yourself. It's a tele kind of twang with the benefit of being noise canceling.
johnny@haggertysmusic.com

http://www.haggertysmusic.com
Authorized Suhr Dealer
Kzin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Im considering the non plus versions of the pups you mentioned. This part "providing a nice balance between strong output with pronounced mids that will push the front end of a tube amp and sweet open-sounding vintage-style tonality." sounded good.

Would the plus or non plus versions match the classic 57 (non plus) better? Which one is closer to a classic 57 plus in output?

I gues the tones I want to achive in the bridge would gary moore, ac dc, and heavier stuff like ozzy.

Main amp is orange dual terror. I also have a hr deville with a blackstar ht dual. The orange is very transparent while the blackstar ht dual pedal makes guitars sound kinda samy.

Regarding the 500 pots, I feel I need to do something to tame the highs. Theres some kind of harshness in the top end I realy dont like, even with the the neck pup only. If I roll the volume down to about 8 it gets better. And I realy would like the guitar to sound good at ten on the volume. Messing with the tone controll tend to make it muddy.

Maybe covers would tame it a bit?

Should I get pups with double or single row of screws?
M6Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a specific recommendation for which pickup to use but the right Humbucker should sound best with a 500k pot. Bleeding off higher frequencies to ground is really just creating another problem to compensate for something else. IMO It may be better to think about what you are wanting to solve with the EQ or brightness before your decide on the right pickup.
Kzin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im starting this old thread again.

If possible I would like to keep the c57 in the neck, I will however need to tame it some how because of the shrill, spikey highs. Im also planning on putting covers on the pups. If the covers arent enough to tame it I will probably change the volume pot to 250K (300k arent available with coilsplittning Ive been told). I like the way a les paul traditional sound with 300K pots and covers, so I figure Ill be happy with 250 k pot and covers.

If I get the DSH+ will it sound to mellow with cover and 250k pot? Maybe the SSH+ would work better?

Can I have 250K pot for the C57 in the neck and 500k in the neck or will that be unbalanced?
HaggertysMusic

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The covers will change it some, but not tremendously. You can mix 250K and 500K volume pots without issue.

You can also tack a 470K resistor across the two outer lugs of a volume control and drop the 500K resistance to approx 250K. This will let you know if you like the sound of the 250K pot, and is much easier than doing an entire pot swap.

You're just running two resistors in parallel (your volume control is a resistor). You can use resistors in this way to create virtually any value volume pot you want.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm
johnny@haggertysmusic.com

http://www.haggertysmusic.com
Authorized Suhr Dealer
JDouglee

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Classic 57s in Gibsons, but only with covers on.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDouglee

Have you experienced much difference with the classic 57s with the covers on or off?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: